1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters

Attachments

Last edited:
I got my fuel tank back from my uncle and the mounting straps turned out sweet! Unfortunately it rained Saturday so I was unable to get the trike finished up. So today, I got caught up with work a lot earlier than expected and decided to work on trike. Well as soon as I opened up the shed, it started down pouring!:censure:

I'll at least post pics of the tank straps here in a little bit. The fuel pump mount still needs to be made as my uncle hasn't had time. But I can make one from a piece of angle stock and it'll work fine.
I'll get this trike done one of these years! LOL

Stay tuned,
Shawn

As promised here are a couple pics of the new tank straps. The pic quality is not the greatest as they were taken with my cell phone. I also replaced the old fuel outlet barb with a new reducer and a 1/4" barb fitting as the old one was to big and was shaved down. I still have to seal the threads.

Shawn

Attachments

Last edited:
Still nothing much to report other then I was able to get the fuel tank mounted and plumbed. I got all of the set screws loosened on the axle assy. and soaking in PB Blaster since nothing still won't budge. Even with heat. And I've been without internet since last Saturday. The main cable line to my house went down to due a weakened tree branch and the cable company finally replaced it today! I was going to try and log on from a clients computer but I didn't feel comfortable putting my username and password over someone elses network.

Shawn

Last edited:
Just a quick note to let everyone know that I haven't given up on the RTS. I had some recent financial set backs so I've been working long hours to help fill the dent in my wallet. LOL
I've also been busy with my band learning new songs to get ready for some upcoming paying gig's.
I plan to get back to the RTS by the end of the month / beginning of September.

Shawn

Try freeze off by crc on rusted nuts worked pretty good on my tricart axle stop collars now if it will just help on the bearings to come off

Try freeze off by crc on rusted nuts worked pretty good on my tricart axle stop collars now if it will just help on the bearings to come off
Thanks for the Freeze Off tip. I'll check into it. The last time I worked on it, I was able to get all of the set screws loose by soaking them with PB Blaster for a week or so and then using a propane torch to heat them.
I took them out, cleaned them up, sprayed Blaster in the set screw holes and hand threaded the set screws just to force the Blaster inside of the collars. So I'm hoping everything will come apart easier.

Shawn

I know it's been awhile but I finally had a chance to get back to the RTS today so I loaded it into my van and hauled it to my uncles shop to drop the diff and it turns out that it has a broken diff case!!! It has been nothing but one problem after another on this thing and I'm really beginning to think I way over paid for it and unfortunately, there is no way I'd make my money back if I sold it. So does anyone here have a good Pearless 100 diff housing for 1" axles for cheap? I really don't want to have to spend $100.00 for a used diff only to find something else is broken or worn.

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

There are some on ebay. Auction #301509118908. It says 7/8 axles but check yours as many are smaller where they go into the case. Swap in your axles and you're good to go.

If I can't find a housing in the next couple days, I'm gonna try and sell it for what I have into it which is $1,300.00. It's got a great running JLO 440 with a brand new Mikuni 34mm carb, brand new air filter, brand new fuel pump, brand new throttle cable, throttle, brand new throttle extension, brand new fuel filter, 3 gallon spun aluminum tank with custom made mounting brackets, brand new rear wheels and tires and new front shocks.

Shawn

wjustice

Even my rts wiyh the holton has 1" axles but where they go into to diff case they are only 7/8. If yours do too then it may be worth a shot. Ask the guy if they are 7/8 all the way or if the are smaller at the diff.

Even my rts wiyh the holton has 1" axles but where they go into to diff case they are only 7/8. If yours do too then it may be worth a shot. Ask the guy if they are 7/8 all the way or if the are smaller at the diff.
Hey Justice, Thanks for the reply.
Yeah mine are 1" all the way through with flats ground on each end of the axles where the bevel gear slides on.
I found a few diff's at some local mower shops but they all had 7/8" axles.
I'm gonna try giving Larry a call on Monday and see if he has any housings. I'd buy a diff from him but he raised his prices to almost a hundred bucks (iirc) when he put them on FeeBay. In hindsight, I should have bought one when he was selling the for cheap but Outcry said the old diff was fine and just needed servicing and the new sprocket installed.

Shawn

I just spoke to Larry and I'm gonna get a diff from him on Tuesday as he said he would honor my original quote.
So keep your fingers crossed that there are no other surprises lurking about!

Shawn

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

just bought one of these today, it's a bit rough after sitting for 20 plus years but for $75 I guess it's worth doing a rebuild on it.. comes with a jlo rockwell 440, eng has compression but that's about all I could tell on it..

just bought one of these today, it's a bit rough after sitting for 20 plus years but for $75 I guess it's worth doing a rebuild on it.. comes with a jlo rockwell 440, eng has compression but that's about all I could tell on it..
Good luck on your rebuild. Will you be starting a restoration thread?

Shawn