1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
I went ahead and ordered a diff from Larry's as there are absolutely no shops around here that has one with 1 inch axles.
It should be here by Wednesday and I'll replace it this weekend and report back.

Shawn

I just talked to the lady at Larry's and my Diff is being shipped out to day. The only odd thing is she charged me tax which wasn't supposed to be charged because I'm in a different state. Unfortunately, they had me bent over a barrel as they are the only ones that have them.

Shawn

You know Larry's axles are 1" but drop down to 3/4" where they go into the housing. I have used several of the cases and gears with my axles and tossed the axles that come with them.

125ccCrazy

I went ahead and ordered a diff from Larry's as there are absolutely no shops around here that has one with 1 inch axles.
It should be here by Wednesday and I'll replace it this weekend and report back.

Shawn
would you have a link to this site? my brother needs a diff for his...

would you have a link to this site? my brother needs a diff for his...
Hi,
There is no web link. Only a phone number. 1 (215) 536-6958
Ask for Sheree (I think I spelled it correctly) she can process your order. Just a warning, she charges tax for out of state sales even though she is not supposed to!

Shawn

You know Larry's axles are 1" but drop down to 3/4" where they go into the housing. I have used several of the cases and gears with my axles and tossed the axles that come with them.
Uh Oh! I hope I'm not STOL. The axles in my RTS look like they do not step down. Did you use them in an RTS? Or were they used in a different brand trike?

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

Both my RTS and my big TS have 1" axles that step down to 7/8" where th ey go into the diff. But they both have holton diffs. I dont know if alsport handled the holtons differently then the peerless.

I have seen all three differentials that Alsport used on the RTS models. They all end up the same way with short stubby axles with keyways for outboard drums and the universal joints, or for axle mounted brake disc and again for the universal joint the Holton is a different unit on the inside I wish I had pictures of the parts of that unit.
Steve

Both my RTS and my big TS have 1" axles that step down to 7/8" where th ey go into the diff. But they both have holton diffs. I dont know if alsport handled the holtons differently then the peerless.
Hey Justice how goes it?
I got my diff from Larry's and the axles do step down where they go into the case. I planned on working on the RTS today but it's been raining all day and is supposed to rain all through tomorrow and Saturday plus possible rain from hurricane Joaquin on Sunday and Monday.

Shawn

wjustice

Every diff I've seen, the axles stepped down where they go into the cases. My small TS doesn't but it has 3/4 axles.
Steve, check my photos, i have exploded views from my alsport manuals. I also have pics in one of my threads recently, where I was doing the assembly. I think it was the "this doesnt look right" thread.

Every diff I've seen, the axles stepped down where they go into the cases. My small TS doesn't but it has 3/4 axles.
Steve, check my photos, i have exploded views from my alsport manuals. I also have pics in one of my threads recently, where I was doing the assembly. I think it was the "this doesnt look right" thread.
Okay cool. I'm thinking mine will step down too. When I was looking at it, the lighting wasn't the greatest and looked like 1 inch all the way through.

Thanks,
Shawn

wjustice

If where they step down is the same size, then just use your old axles in the new housing. If not, you may have to cut the axles and add keyways for the brakes and ujoints.

If where they step down is the same size, then just use your old axles in the new housing. If not, you may have to cut the axles and add keyways for the brakes and ujoints.
Due to inclimate weather for the last several days, my property has been a flooded mess. Luckily, the flood has gone away and the weather for both tomorrow and Wednesday is supposed to be nice so I'll find out if my old axles will work in the new case.

Shawn

Well I've been at this thing for a good while now and the left side U-Joint cups will not budge from the axle. I've tried heat, PB Blaster along with pry bars and no luck! The other side came right off and I have all of the nuts and bolts out out. The diff is loose but won't come out unless the U-Joint comes off. I just can't catch a break with this trike!

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

The set screw go into a pocket in the axle, so they need to come all the way out. Also mine was completely covered inside with loctite. I used heat and a gear puller to push the axle out. Lots of heat and a drift to drive the axle out may do it. Are you removing the joint from the yokes or the yokes from the axle?

The set screw go into a pocket in the axle, so they need to come all the way out. Also mine was completely covered inside with loctite. I used heat and a gear puller to push the axle out. Lots of heat and a drift to drive the axle out may do it. Are you removing the joint from the yokes or the yokes from the axle?
Thanks for the reply Justice. I removed all of the set screws. those were the easiest. As for a puller, there is no room to attach a puller to the U-Joint cups. However, I cheated a little and removed the wheel, shock, fender bracket and radius rod and just let the whole axle assembly hang free. The next obstacles to fight me are the bearing flanges as they are preventing the diff from sliding sideways enough to "snake" the diff out. I was going to try and split the diff case and remove it in halves but it was starting to get dark and the mosquitoes were coming out so I packed it up for the night and start again tomorrow.

Shawn

Last edited: