1974 hs50

I have two with that same number one is a bb and one is not....I believe the bb covers go on recreational motors and the others on tillers snow blowers etc....but as mentioned above Markus will fill you in....

minibikefever

thanks guys, I think your correct about the bb skipp, the motor had a double pulley on it so it was probably on a piece of lawn equipment? and you know I posted it hoping that the tecumseh wizard would chime in lol

Ok thanks for the info Skipp. Your green HS50 engine has a bushing in the side cover instead of a bearing, correct? I'm just curious how well the side cover bushing in these HS50 engines holds up to mini bike abuse compared to the bearing versions. How has yours held up?

Crank will be different.. will definitely need to have a snap ring groove in it at the least and I think the PTO journal may be sized differently but don't quote me on that part.
Thanks for the good info Studeman68. I was curious what needed to be done & how easy it was to convert from the bushing side cover to the bearing side cover version on these HS50 engines

cfh

yes the crank is different. the crank journal is much smaller on a BB side cover engine, so it goes through the ball bearing. i guess you could turn down a regular crank and add a snap ring groove. but obviously you'll need a new side cover too, and those are hard/expensive to find. and to what end? some say there's less crank play with a BB side cover. frankly i think the fuss over them is crazy, unless your engine is turning big RPMs. then it makes sense i guess. i have regular and BB engine. i can't tell the difference. i'm not driving the thing to florida, so i don't see all the fuse over them. i've only seen one worn side cover. and that happened because they ran the engine without oil. so don't do that and you'll be fine...

yes the crank is different. the crank journal is much smaller on a BB side cover engine, so it goes through the ball bearing. i guess you could turn down a regular crank and add a snap ring groove. but obviously you'll need a new side cover too, and those are hard/expensive to find. and to what end? some say there's less crank play with a BB side cover. frankly i think the fuss over them is crazy, unless your engine is turning big RPMs. then it makes sense i guess. i have regular and BB engine. i can't tell the difference. i'm not driving the thing to florida, so i don't see all the fuse over them. i've only seen one worn side cover. and that happened because they ran the engine without oil. so don't do that and you'll be fine...
Thanks for pointing out the differences between the two versions cfh. I appreciate the help.