1974 Rupp "Herbie" go kart

myjunk

I thought I would share with you my latest find. This is a 1974 Rupp "Herbie" go kart. These were made by Rupp in a limited amount,
to be used as props at some larger movie theaters for the release of the Disney movie "Herbie rides again". They were usually raffled off, and if you held the winning ticket, then you were the lucky guy. Can you imagine how many kids must have drooled over these things back then? Mine is in original condition, and still has the correct 3 hp Clinton engine in it. I am leaving everything as is, as an example of a great looking survivor. I would love to hear from anyone who owns one of these, or perhaps remembers seeing them in the theaters.

I've seen a vw gocart back in my youth that had a paint job likish herbie. If it was original it was painted over very badly(talking brushed house paint with no masking). Back then I didn't know or care enough to look at engines.

I won a Rupp Herbie as a child and now own another body. I'm looking for a chassis to complete the current one. The original one was raffled off through a Philadelphia TV station. 100 postcards later i was a happy child!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was one of those kids. In 1978 I won a Herbie from an NBC DFW show, The Children's Hour on Sunday. It was in conjunction with Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo and its one of my funnest treasures, I became a local kid celebrity as a 9 year old with a car. It still has its original Briggs & Stratton engine it has a small crack in the I was unstoppable. Im looking to sell. Its time to say goodbye. The condition is 8/10

Attachments

I was one of those kids. In 1978 I won a Herbie from an NBC DFW show, The Children's Hour on Sunday. It was in conjunction with Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo and its one of my funnest treasures, I became a local kid celebrity as a 9 year old with a car. It still has its original Briggs & Stratton engine it has a small crack in the I was unstoppable. Im looking to sell. Its time to say goodbye. The condition is 8/10
Message sent....

This is an interesting thread. I recall vividly going to the drive in movie and watching the first one. It was right after that we learned as kids about "Punch Bug." As I recall, it was 69 or 70.

All very cool. I seen it at the drive in several times and saw all of them...the double header. The rich kid down the street had one, I always assumed his dad bought it.....I didn't like him he didn't like me so I never knew.