1982 Honda Odyssey FL250

[/IMG]

I seen this yesterday while driving around. The lady said her dad bought this for her when she was 12 years old. It has being in her garage for 15 years and has not being started since. She said I could have it for $500.00 so I took it. The gas tank is dry but really rusted inside. Does any one have a good idea on how to clean the tank? I have never had or drove one of these Honda's. Any help on what to do before I try to start it would be appreciated.

Hi Trent : First off find some sand to play in LOL About the tank I have heard from others you can put some small rocks inside and pad the tank up and if no ones looking put it into a dryer and let is allow the rocks to chip away at the rust. Very small rocks with sharp edges. also make sure the heat is off and there is other things in the dryer like towels so the tank isn't getting beat up.
Steve :scooter:

Hey Steve, never heard that one before. I don't think my wife would like me to do that. Lol. I might try the rocks and just shake it up for a while. You don't know of any cleaner to pour in there that would do a good job?

Hey Steve, never heard that one before. I don't think my wife would like me to do that. Lol. I might try the rocks and just shake it up for a while. You don't know of any cleaner to pour in there that would do a good job?
I use muratic acid and water mix at 3:1. It's cheap, and eats the rust and the paint.

Most good tank sealer kits come with a nice etching solution, once you get the chunks out.

Capguncowby here recently did a Briggs tank using electrolysis. Battery charger and annodes of rebar. It also came out good.

You can toss in a bunch of small hardware and shake it. I saw a video of a guy who jacked up a farm tractor and strapped on a gas tank and let the tractor idle in gear for a couple of hours, lol.

Do a google search on tank cleaning, and you;ll come up with several options, each with positives and negatives. I have a pool, so a steady supply of muratic acid, and it's cheap. But I use a solution of soda ash and water once the rust is gone to neutralize. Otherwise, rinse with soap and water, and heat it up quickly to avoid quick rust build up.

I used evap o rust on a very bad tank took about 40 dollars worth I then used a gallon of diesel to clean the tank then I filled it to the brim with fresh gas drained that after a few days and then installed it on the bike with a new filter and had no issues.

I used evap o rust on a very bad tank took about 40 dollars worth I then used a gallon of diesel to clean the tank then I filled it to the brim with fresh gas drained that after a few days and then installed it on the bike with a new filter and had no issues.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This

I believe that Evaporust will work very well for this, though I have not yet used it for this (this is my plan for dealing with a rusty moped tank and scooter tank I have). I would use the screws/rocks/sand method first to knock off any loose rust, then use the Evaporust. Evaporust is expensive, but works great for de-rusting things for me, so far. It is also re-usable, so after you are done with your tank, pour it back into the original container and hold on to it for when you need it for more de-rusting later.

Paul

markus

If its not all gummed up fresh evaporust does work well. POR15 makes a pretty good product as well called Marine clean that good for eating up the gunk buildup if thats and issue.

I used to do the dryer trick with the old Cushman round tanks and some drywall screws......till the wife found out :laugh:

When I was about 8 we had a 1976 odyssey, it was a deathtrap ( I loved it :wink:). Ours had a sticky throttle and weak brakes so it was on its side more than on 4 wheels. Don't go riding it without being strapped in!!!!!

Cuda54

J&P Cycles sells a kit to coat the inside of the tank! It is Kreem Combo Pack Gas Tank Sealer 3 Part Kit $46.99. I have used this on gas tanks it is the best I have ever used. And it seals leaky tanks too. If you make your own tank and it leaks you can just get the coating for the inside and seal it and it will not rust inside.

Thanks for all the info guys. I am going to start with the screws or something to get rid of the heavy stuff first. The Evap o rust and Marine clean sound like good products. That product to coat the tank would be great to. Not sure if I can buy it here, but I will check around to see what I can get. Im sure the carb is going to be bad also.

Cuda54

Just order it from J&P Cycles online. The main place is in Iowa for me it is a half hour drive away. I bought all of the stuff to redo my 1978 Harley there. And it is best to coat new tanks that way they will never rust out.

Axx3d

Theres a guy with a HO not far from me..

i want to go grab it but i can tell from here it is beat to $hit......

Glad u got a good one.............

Have used cider vinegar just takes a couple days, also had good results with toilet bowl cleaner called "the works" just be sure to neutralize with baking soda, rinse well, dry quikly and coat or keep full to prevent flash rust

Had one of these as a teenager. A lot of fun as long as is fairly smooth. No rear suspension makes high speeds and bumps a bit rough. Had the most fun with it in the snow.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Does this still have the correct engine ? What engine is in it ?

Most of these have had the engine changed out. They seem to of had a problem an blow the engines up.

the engines would go from overheating being directly behind the driver. make sure to add some ductwork, maybe even a cooling fan and shrouds. you got a deal for 500, restored they bring over twice that and yours doesnt look that far off.

they do get bouncy with no suspension. if you keep it stock, keep the tire pressure low. or you could always cut the back off, add some pivots and springs and get some suspension! they used to have kits back in the day to add it, but hard to find anymore

as for the tank, if its real bad, clean it best you can and put it on ebay, and then get you a mini-keg gravity feed tank. no fuel pump to worry about then. and they look good. or any gravity feed tank will work, the mini kegs just look great.

keep us updated!! i have 2 of these... well more like 1 and a half... hahaa much worse shape than yours!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

also, they made water cooled heads for these that would keep you from overheating, they used a goldwing radiator, no water pump just heat siphoning. might be hard to find, but ive got a machine shop so im thinking about making my own!! one of the only things i like about 2 strokes... you can make your own heads!