1986 Z50R won't start

Malm

I am new to the forum....

I bought a 1986 Z50R real cheap not knowing anything about it....
I changed the oil, new plug, new points, new condenser, new coil (Chinese), new plug wire, new carb (Chinese), new fuel lines and filter. Getting spark. Timing is right, maybe off by 1/2 tooth but so close I figured moving it would just make it the same distance off the other side of the mark. Compression checks 128psi and holds without let down.

She will not start.
I pull started it and it did run well enough to pull my 240lb butt around my yard 3 times at higher rpms... when I tried to slow down, it was idling way high, too high to leave in neutral so i shut it off.
I will not kick start, it will not push start... even pull the plug and shoot in starting fluid, still no....
When it did run it smoked a lot, but it has not run in a long time....

Any ideas? I am trying to get it going for my grand daughter (9) and she is very excited... I have a new seat cover and a brand new gas tank on the way....

I did notice the main needle in the original carb was on #2 notch and the chinese carb was on the 3rd....

Sounds like your leaking air at the new carb (high idle). Check you bolts and tighten them both to the manifold simultaneously for the best seal.

Timing can be crucial. Plenty of YouTube videos on setting timing on these Honda engines. Tdc on flywheel and timing mark on cam need to match.. Down to the link.
IME.

Malm

I will re-check the valves.... but I did adjust them.
The timing appears right, I have watched the videos and it is off by 1/2 tooth. it is slightly above the mark, but if I moved it it would then be slightly below the mark.....
It did run by pull starting, but only at fast rpms the idle screw was set waaaay high I guess.... and once I shut it down it will not restart unless I pull it again, kick and push starting it won't start it... even with pulling the plug and shooting some starting fluid in the cylinder.... it SHOULD at least sputter, but it does not... even with no carb on it, it should run a little with a shot of starting fluid and a bit of gas, but it doesn't hit a lick... maybe a backfire but no running for even a few seconds....

This is a mystery ,but as you stated it should at least try and run even without the carb
If it was me I would recheck everything in the points/ timing it may have fire but if its not at the right time it wont run

Malm

But, it will run if i pull start it.... pulled by big butt around the yard 3 times under it's own power... So it cant be that far out.... I am stumped. I cannot push start it, but pull it with my 4 wheeler and she runs.....

Malm

Looking at these pics, you can see if I align the flywheel to TDC, the mark on the camshaft gear is slightly off, almost 1/2 tooth.... if I line up the tooth, you can see how far off the timing TDC mark is.... but i just think thats close enuff, but maybe not.... if not, what has to be done to fix it, new chain or? Is the problem chain slop?
I check valves again and they are adjusted correctly.

Attachments

JustEnough

One cause of a REAL high idle is if you put the carb slide in backwards. Probably too late to help you, but may be useful information for others.

If it starts with a real fast push start, that usually indicates that the valve lash needs adjusting because they are not sealing enough for good compression.