1995 Briggs Raptor

Howdy,

I picked up a complete 1995 Briggs Raptor (Kool Bore) a few weeks ago 135230 7004. I had it running for a short time this weekend, it had plenty of power and Idled okay, but was smoky. I tore it down today and the top of piston had a pool of oil on it, and the cylinder wall was very oily, the head gasket was new and it was oily, new exhaust header was oily inside as well. Its still standard bore and the bore looks okay, light scuffing, piston and rings look new. I figured I could clean up the bore and take care of anything else it needs such as valves (they are worn and tired looking), However, I am concerned about the valve guides as the exhaust valve was a bit wobbly. Upon further inspection it appears to have a repair on the boss surrounding the guides inside the case. The repair looks very solid.

I want to know if I can save this block, and install new valve guides, and seats?

who does this work? I live in Metro Detroit area.

any ideas are appreciated!

Patrick

Last edited:

Triley41395

Howdy,

I picked up a complete 1995 Briggs Raptor (Kool Bore) a few weeks ago 135230 7004. I had it running for a short time this weekend, it had plenty of power and Idled okay, but was smoky. I tore it down today and the top of piston had a pool of oil on it, and the cylinder wall was very oily, the head gasket was new and it was oily, new exhaust header was oily inside as well. Its still standard bore and the bore looks okay, light scuffing, piston and rings look new. I figured I could clean up the bore and take care of anything else it needs such as valves (they are worn and tired looking), However, I am concerned about the valve guides as the exhaust valve was a bit wobbly. Upon further inspection it appears to have a repair on the boss surrounding the guide inside the case. The repair looks very solid.

I want to know if I can save this block, and install new valve guides, and seats?

who does this work? I live in Metro Detroit area.

any ideas are appreciated!

Patrick
Although I'm not the person to give you engine advice since I'm pretty new at this myself, I will say pictures of the valve seats and the repair would be helpful for the ones that can. From what I've read most engines are repairable just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Yes, I'll get some posted as soon as I can. The area in question is the valve guide boss inside the crankcase.

Thank you for your response,

Patrick

It was probably a kart motor. The lifter bore was a problem when using slapper cams back in the day so they would weld up around it to strengthen it. it should also be welded behind it which I can’t see in your picture. That is not a problem. Check your bore for straightness and out of round. What oil were you using?

Are you sure that you do indeed have a Briggs "Raptor" engine?
1. "Kool Bore" refers to an all- aluminum bore (i.e., "regular" Briggs 5 HP). The Raptor will have a steel liner that is easily visible.
2. The crankshaft will be ball - bearing supported on the PTO end., not just a bored/bushing hole in the side cover.
3. The rod will be beefier -looking (and stronger) than the regular rod.
4. The carb will not have a choke.
5. There is no governor, and there is no provision (bored hole in the block) where the governor shaft WOULD have been for a regular Briggs 5 HP.
Michael

I was thinking if it was used on a Kart it sure had a short life, it is still standard bore, and its aluminum. Its a Kool Bore Raptor engine model 135230 7004. All of my research indicates this to be true. It has no governor provision just the boss. Also, the oil sender unit is delete, again just the boss. Ball bearing at the PTO side of crank. No choke on carb. Beefed up fuel tank bracket.

My concern is the out-of-round exhaust valve guide area.

How do I get the valve guides out and the same for the valve seats? and how can tell what size I need?

If you read my post in wanted you'll see that I am looking for another block, but now I am not sure perhaps I can still use this one.

Regards,

Patrick

IMG_20211102_070410584[1].jpg IMG_20211109_064731478[1].jpg IMG_20211109_064557859[1].jpg IMG_20211109_065122674[1].jpg IMG_20211107_163057599_HDR[1].jpg

That sure does look like a Briggs Raptor! I was under the impression that all of them (Raptors 1, 2 and 3) all had the steel liner in the bore- but maybe not?
Michael

joshua. c.

A briggs raptor engine can be rebuilt by any good kart shop. I would recommend having it re board 10 over for a larger piston that should clean it up and only install new valve guides if the old ones are loose. (A good shop can check that)