1st Mini-bike for Grandson help

11yr old grandson bout 115#'s needs a Mini-bike.

Come across a totally stock ct200u camo with racks and a 196 in like new condition. Is this to much for a 1st mini-bike?

Lives outside of town in a hilly area. Only one paved road in front of their house. Several acres to ride on, and hills that need climbed.

Want it to be a super positive experience for him w/o it being to much for a 1st bike. Yet got to be enuff to handle the area he'll be riding in too. I can see it out at the lake also.

Gotta plant the seed as @toomanytoys has done with his daughter more up for the mini-bikes as opposed to Disneyland !:cool:

Any help, insight, suggestions, guidance etc greatly appreciated.

Thank you all
Mark

Mark, I think it's a great bike to start with.

While in Windber this summer I bought my 11 year old son Cadman a ct200u, that was used, but essentially new.

Cadman went from being a somewhat timid rider of our temperamental boonie bike, to a confident rider of his new ct200 in a matter of a couple days.

As a matter of fact he was awarded most improved rider by Jeff Mihalko during the award ceremony !

The ct200 has good control, and handling, with the brakes to stop it, and the power to climb nice hills. Plus they look good with the racks and all.

I think it'll be a great introduction bike for your grandson.

Sounds like a winning plan to me. But more important than engine size, in my view, is the quality of instruction and supervision that he receives, and that he not just be turned loose on the thing. Will he have someone to ride with? You? A friend or other family member? It's so much more fun and tons safer if he has an older, more experienced playmate to show him the ropes.

Wow ! That's great news to hear
:) i was worried might be too much for him to learn on.

Tom/Robert, thank you greatly appreciate the words of wisdom!

Should i outfit it with a Tav before he gets it? I'm guessing mostly off ride kinda riding. What i read that's the way to go all the way around.

He's never been on one that I'm aware of. Lives several hundred miles away. Guess I'll have to take a little vacation time and another one to ride with him. Darn the luck! ;)

He's mom and dad took a trip to pick one up yet another one for me, so i asked if'n i gave him one of they'd be ok with it.
So i may have to take a trailer with a cpl more! Lol :scooter:

Thank you again for the great words of wisdom and those yet to come.

You are welcome Mark.

You may want to consider a tav in the future, but for now, the clutch is fine.

I was surprised how good the clutch works with the stock setup.

Keep us posted.

Lizardking

I haven't ridden a different ct200u but mine takes off like a bat out of hell. Just have him lean into the takeoff.

It's all stock and torque is good for mild terrain.

I haven't ridden a different ct200u but mine takes off like a bat out of hell. Just have him lean into the takeoff.

It's all stock and torque is good for mild terrain.
That's the reason the PO dumped it, to much for his kiddos. Sound advice LK will do Tkx!

Besides riding you'll want to get him interested in the routine service and maintenance. In other words, get the tools in his hands.
Aka Tav install! Pre installed and set-up of course, then remove it and let him do the install, all the service work, clutch service, change the oil, air filter, bolt ck, chain maintenance, just the overall "Get some of it on ya son " lol
Hopefully that'll plant the seed deep and we'll have yet another one down the Rabbit Hole behind car three! Lol @desert rat

Thank you all for the great info and vote of confidence I'm going the right direction with this.

Mark,

There is a governor/limiting screw you can adjust if the bike is too much power for his weight at this time. Mark it's stock position before tightening it so you know where the factory setting was.

Aaah! Thank you minibikin will do. Not sure when we'll make the trip up to see them. So I'll have some time to go thru/over it. It's all but brannie new. Shouldn't be much required to assure it "Stands Tall"

Still thinking a trailer trip up with a cpl extras will be the way to go. He's no idea whatsoever bout it either. That's the cool factor! :cool:

Just can't wait to see his reaction when he learns it's his! I'll play it off for awhile, not sure how I'm gonna handle it just yet. Shock factor ya know.
Still gotta get his hands dirty so he has blood sweat and tears in it and we'll loose another soul to the hole... Rabbit Hole that is, behind car three... lol @desert rat
That's the plan anyway. :D

desert rat

Aaah! Thank you minibikin will do. Not sure when we'll make the trip up to see them. So I'll have some time to go thru/over it. It's all but brannie new. Shouldn't be much required to assure it "Stands Tall"

Still thinking a trailer trip up with a cpl extras will be the way to go. He's no idea whatsoever bout it either. That's the cool factor! :cool:

Just can't wait to see his reaction when he learns it's his! I'll play it off for awhile, not sure how I'm gonna handle it just yet. Shock factor ya know.
Still gotta get his hands dirty so he has blood sweat and tears in it and we'll loose another soul to the hole... Rabbit Hole that is, behind car three... lol @desert rat
That's the plan anyway. :D
It'''''s the fox hole behind car three, the rabbit is in car three . Dam how did you make it threw hole school? Do you still sell your lunch for answers on tests?

toomanytoys

My 11 year old daughter started on a bt200x. Essentially the same bike. It's easy enough to ride.

Stock they won't hoist the front wheel at all. They take off ok but not enough to launch a kid to space. After a few laps my daughter was full throttle up through the yard and now wants more power.

Last edited:
It'''''s the fox hole behind car three, the rabbit is in car three . Dam how did you make it threw hole school? Do you still sell your lunch for answers on tests?
Fox holes, Rabbit holes, Pie holes, Car three holes, behind car three holes then ya thro carts in on top of me just as i catch a glimpse of daylight. Then Ian @174 throws electrics & batteries in the mix... so many choices. What ever happen to True/False questions?
I'm just thankful no one has thrown a a drift trike down the hole... which hole ya say, stay away from car three! I swear there's a black hole around there suckin everthing in that's even remotely close :eek:

No wonder I'm a lost soul... still lookin for lunch money that last test cost me dearly! o_O

@Tomanytoys:
Did you by chance put a Tav on your daughters bike? If so who's ?
Is that something i want to consider for the grandsons bike?
Thank you for chiming in. I need all the insights i can get from the wisdom of the elders... oooh wait i am one, elder that is...lookin for the wisdom!

Edit: thots are leave it with the clutch for now as @RobertC mentioned just looking forward.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

@Tomanytoys:
Did you by chance put a Tav on your daughters bike? If so who's ?
Is that something i want to consider for the grandsons bike?
Thank you for chiming in. I need all the insights i can get from the wisdom of the elders... oooh wait i am one, elder that is...lookin for the wisdom!

Edit: thots are leave it with the clutch for now as @RobertC mentioned just looking forward.
I'd give him a summer of riding a lot before I'd add a tav.

It's all stock for now. She is not ready for a torque convetor. I have stage 1 parts set aside but that doesn't do a whole lot by itself.

My ct200u was stock engine with a torque convertor and it would throw an adult on their back easy. Too much for a 100lb kid. Now it's tillotson stage 2 with a juggernaut torque convertor and it's a monster.

On what torque convertor...I've been using Amazon knock off with great results.