2.8hp wussmachine crankcase cover removal

I want to remove the governor on the 2.8hp lifan on my doodlebug I know the risks but want more power. I take care of the motor and don't abuse it but would like some more power out of it to tide me over until I switch to a 6.5hp motor.
My question is will I have to replace the gasket?
I don't want to crack the thing open only to find the gasket will need to be replaced and impossible to find.
Thanks for your help.

den35

I know I'll probably get a finger waved at me for this one,but when I bypassed the governor on my stock doodlebug engine(2.8 I believe),I just replaced the spring between the governor arm and the throttle linkage with a piece of stiff wire.Worked like a charm,without opening the case.

without removing the internal parts, your really pushing it, because at any minute those internal parts can blow and destroy your whole engine, its just a quick fix which will let you not worry anymore..

Actually, my 2.8 does ok on the top end. It's down in the low rpms where it seems to need the power. Maximum safe rpm is 4200 so be careful not to exceed that. If the tiny rod goes out, you might end up riding a grenade.