2-Speed clutch problem

1971_MB1A

Like I said everything is working good now with old clutch. On the bike now is original engine and clutch that came with the Fox Trail Tramp. Serial # matches with 1970 date code. I was thinking maybe someone changed the crank at some point but when 1971_MB1A confirmed his "original" Scamp's shaft was 2-1/4 that confirmed it. The bolt is proper length (from original manual) and as I mentioned in prior post tightens all the way and front clutch half spins free.
The pictures 1971_MB1A sent me help a lot, I noticed his original clutch had a nice gap in between clutch halves, the new clutch that was giving me trouble had very little gap. This is what makes be think it was wrong clutch or aftermarket.
@copyman PM sent.

copyman

Wanted to add the factory parts page shows a spacer that goes inside clutch to compensate for the extra space plus like I mentioned in earlier post the length of bolt is important to bottom out when tightening. See attached #'s 36 & 38 showing spacer & length of bolt. Sorry, have to rotate the 2 PDF's to read easier.

By the way clutch I have measures 2.65" from gear to gear off bike. When installed on bike it's closer to 2.75 as the gap opens a little wider then when off bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

copyman

30 w engine oil
1st to engage LG one way sprocket
I tried the 30 w oil and it lasted for a 10 min ride and next time I went to ride clutch was sticking worse. Any other recommendations on what is good lube for the bronze bushings in clutch? There are all kinds of suggestions on the internet, from dry lube to transmission fluid.

Thanks again