2002 Honda Metropolitan

Hey gang,

Thought I'd show off my latest aquisition, a 2002 Honda Metro.

Picked this up yesterday at a yard sale for $450.

This lil' sweetheart has never been laid down and generally is in great condition.

It has just under 800 miles of use and is currently suffering from the "I let it sit a couple years without prepping it" syndrome. The carb was already rebuilt, the gas REEKS, and it looks like the gas cap wasn't sealed so the tank is rusty and generally creepy.

A Honda repair manual is on the way as well as a new battery. Hopefully I can get her running soon. :scooter:

Today is devoted to claying the plastic panels and applying a couple coats of Zaino to make her sparkle again. :grind:

Bob

vwfan79

Very nice, I bought a moped a month or do ago and ride it everywhere. It's nice having a little scooter that us street legal to run around town with.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I spent several hours detailing it today. I took off the luggage racks and seat to make cleaning easier.

The rear of the bike and seat had silver paint overspray all over. Lotsa elbowgrease was required to get it all off.

The effort was well worth it, though.

Here are several shots of the results.

Actually is was the the green color of regular anti-freeze that I grew up with. Really didn't LOOK too bad, but I'm sure it was due for changing.

Gonna be a week or two before she's running.

I pulled the gas tank out today, nasty stuff.

Turns out someone had pried the locking gas cap off at one time, bent up the sealing surface of the tank and with the scoot parked outside, it filled up the gas tank with water and sat a couple years.

What a mess! Even the gas gauge sending unit and float are rusted tight.

I just ordered a new tank, new float and sender, filter, check valve, hoses, cap, etc. Do it right, do it once.

The guy I bought it from told me he got frustrated working on it after he had the carb rebuilt and it wouldn't start. Turns out, the electric fuel pump was unplugged. I see that as a GOOD thing!

Hurry up parts and get here. I'm anxious to get her going!

mipowdercoater, I did fill'er up with the good blue Honda coolant you recommended, thanks again!
Bob

toomanytoys

That's a sweet find. Those are nice scooters. a guy in town had a newer vespa and another guy has one of those. Side by side they both look very nice

Finally got her going, runs like a top! :scooter:

Had to replace EVERYTHING upstream of the carb.

Then the cheapo sealed battery I bought decided not to be sealed anymore and leaked acid. (battery lays on its side) Fortunately, I was working on the scoot when it started, caught it in time to give the spill a baking soda wash and rinse, so no damage was done.

Learned my lesson and invested in a good gel cell battery. :doah:

Now I must decide to keep it or put it on Craigslist. If I keep it, I feel it deserves a cool set of whitewalls.

Turns out this is the only year (2002) of red and white that is considered "reverse" colors. The other 7 years of manufacture, the seat pillar is white and the side "fenders" are red and the front fender would be red instead of white.

While waiting for parts, she got 7 coats of Zaino polish, so she be lookin' good! :thumbsup:

Took her for a little cruise today and took a few pics.

Being a woosy bike, I gave the pics a woosy background, too. :girl:

Bob