2014-Open Class Baja Shakey0818

The # is your pitch not link/length. I buy 41 chain in 4 ft lengths and cut to size. From the angle of the picture, I can't picture your chain clearing the frame rail going back to the underside of the sprocket but it might just be the angle I am looking at. As DJ mentioned, you need to place the tensioner on the bottom (slack side) of chain- this might also allow you to clear the frame rail that I mentioned. I can't answer the other questions because my eyesight is failing to see what you are asking but sounds like you need a heavier return spring on the throttle, it might be binding somewhere, or you have some missing pieces. Is the throttle mount on the engine free or snugged up for the manual operation?
I will have to check if it is set for manual operation.Good point.I just ordered a 7ft chain so i will have plenty now.I didn't know till an hr ago that you could buy it by the foot.

on the brake, tha angle of the dangle is wrong with the hold down bar. i can take a pic of mine if you want, most of that is stock i think.

I got the rest of the parts in and installed them.Only one of the fake gas tank holes lined up but thats ok I put in a self tapper.I may have to drill. A hole in the fake tank or take it off every time I want to fill it up with gas.
The brakes worked ok but need adjusting.I drove it around the block and it def lacks power but top speed seems ok.Thats good cause a kid will be riding it.Then I went up a small incline then through grass and it really lacked power.

Heres a problem I had and am having after the first time out.The chain came off and the master link snapped.I used bolt cutters and cut a few links off an extra chain.I put on the new links and now my clutch is smoking and the bike wants to go but will not.The chain is not that tight . Here's a few pictures maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.I have the clutch installed teeth facing in and I am using a 40 chain.

Thanks,Rob
View attachment 61837

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Rob, i think you are going to have to use a jackshaft. not knowing what your tooth counts are, it seems like the low end gearing is too high.

Rob, i think you are going to have to use a jackshaft. not knowing what your tooth counts are, it seems like the low end gearing is too high.
I agree, and the top of your chain is normally tight when under load so there is no need to put the tensioner on top, needs to be on the bottom/slack side.

http://www.shop.hotrodminibike.com/images/1382296363365-1884711841.jpeg
you might be able to use something like the link above which would allow a bolt on option but you will need to swap the sprockets for 40 series chain and then determine if there is any offset going to the rear sprocket. The other option is to use an adjustable jackshaft mount and replace the lower (normally welded on) piece with a piece of angle iron and drill out to mount on the engine plate. The last option would allow you to flip the rear chain to the other side of the wheel for the offset (but then your drum brake would be in the way).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.I will get a tooth cont in the next 2 days or so.I'm swamped with work.I know this set up is not the best for a 220lb guy.The clutch worked ok till the chain broke.Could it be that it was too heated to work right again or did i blow it.This is going to be for a 8 yr old who has never ridden anything like this.Chances are that he will not be ok on it and i will have to sell it.Knowing this i dont want to have to spend anymore on it.As it stands now i may be able to break even.Hopefully the clutch is not blown and i can stay off it and see how he likes it.

Well i kinda figured it out.The brake cable was stopping the wheel from moving forward.The bracket on the brake is wrong.It goes from the top of the brake to the bottom of the frame.
I took the brake cable off and it ran good for about 300 feet till the chain snapped at the master link again.Hopefully moving the tensioner and running it on blocks to check for alignment will help.I have a 10 tooth clutch and a 50 tooth rear sprocket.Seems like it will be good for the kid when i get the kinks out.