2015 BUILDOFF ENTRY Open Class Powell Challenger

Powell Challenger Serial Number 5615E. This is a budget build. It will be solid and period correct down to the engine serial number. But it may not be shiny red, and shiny chrome. Going for a solid third place here, for the OldMiniBikes discounts. A thousand dollars of chrome and fresh paint historically puts me in second place. Not this time. :wink:

Earlier plan was to go Open Class, but I'd purchased a long block for the project and decided to stick with originality. No doubt this bike would benefit with a Honda GX200 running a Comet. But I like boring, slow, under-powered, originality.

Bike as received in late October 2015 as part of a trade. Lots of rust, engine seized, tank split, wheel and drive bearings seized.

Another high quality brand new (.010 over) long block HS from ATKRIDER:

Forgot gloves- Engine timed, test ran, voltage checked and carb adjusted. Using original Powell HS40 tins and lighted wheel and coils. Original Powell clutch cleaned, noisy and working fine. Replacement gas tank.

New bearings, (seven of them) are on the way, along with drive belt. Need to fabricate tail lamp mount, build wire harness, procure head and tail lamps, as well as foot brake switch.

Important Note: Carplay sent me a freshly chromed and re-lined rear wheel/brake assembly. For free. I wont use it unless I chrome the rest of the machine. So for now, the chrome pieces are still Eric's. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yea a Powell, this is going to be good ! :drool:I've always wanted a Powell ..and still do ! Good luck Dave and I'll be watching this build forsure ...:thumbsup:

fistfullabar

Best part of the build. Cakewalk for you now Dave. P.S. no skimping on the boring old chorme. It ain't over rated its over priced:blink: On a side note not really a tiny tire fan but the powell 's were ahead of there time very innovative and "tecked out" Word on the streets is they ride pretty right:thumbsup:

Another high quality brand new (.010 over) long block HS from ATKRIDER:

You will do this justice.
Thanks- I'm thinking clear over the rust. Or Rustoleum, like we used to paint farm equipment. Or Radio Flyer "hi-Lead" red!

Nice Dave :thumbsup: chrome is over rated :doah:
I know, right? Rattle can silver with sparkles look$ way better! I could get away with the crappy chrome left on the forks and lowers, but man those bars have nothing left but "valuable, non-restored patina" left on them. (AKA- Rust)

This will be a great build and I will be watching:laugh: These bikes have been starting to grow on me. Good luck on your solid third:thumbsup:
Tongue in cheek- as we know "people's choice" votes don't always represent. But Hent's offering of vouchers just cant cover the bribes I'd need to garner votes. Cant beat full suspension, and large foot wells on 8-inch wheels. Of course 4HP is going to be anemic, but maybe it'll be gutless enough to not lose the belt. :thumbsup:

Oh yea a Powell, this is going to be good ! :drool:I've always wanted a Powell ..and still do ! Good luck Dave and I'll be watching this build forsure ...:thumbsup:
Everyone is sure proud of the parts for them, and shipping kills you. There are seven sealed bearings in the wheels/drive system, and another three open (Heim) bearings to deal with. All of them were frozen. Sealed bearings are on the way- Prices vary from $50 for TWO, to $1.50 each, which is what I found. I do hope they're the right ones. OldMiniBikes doesn't sell them.

I'll be watching this one for sure...good luck. :thumbsup:
Thanks- don't watch too close though, especially the belt sheave warp from where I had to get stuff unstuck!

Very nice Uncle Dave. Me likey
Judging from your previous large-wheeled builds Tanks, you'd be right at home astride this thing. Lots of channel and angle iron construction, and all of the ancillary pieces were made by Powell in-house. That's why it's hard to find original parts, but not impossible to fabricate them. (Except exhaust and throttle)

Best part of the build. Cakewalk for you now Dave. P.S. no skimping on the boring old chorme. It ain't over rated its over priced:blink: On a side note not really a tiny tire fan but the powell 's were ahead of there time very innovative and "tecked out" Word on the streets is they ride pretty right:thumbsup:
I think some folks would think I lost my mind, with what I paid for that engine. But you know Bill's work, and how he includes every possible piece we might need during engine assembly. :thumbsup:

Looking great Dave :thumbsup:
Thanks, but it's a pile of rusted crap sitting on my table right now. :laugh: I've already got a full day of degreasing in on it, and I need a few more hours.