2015 OldMiniBikes Build-Off Classes and Rules

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes 2015 Build-Off!

This thread will have all the basics to participate in the Build-Off. You can also post questions in this thread or PM me.

Classes

There will be five Mini Bike classes this year.
You can enter any or as many as you wish.
You can also enter more than one build in a single class.

Resto/Vintage Class

Single cylinder engine only.
Flathead or vintage two-stroke.
Centrifugal clutch, torque converter, or two-speed allowed.
"Vintage" shall be defined as 25 years or older.
Bring it back like new here.

The Resto(Vintage) class is for restorations. Minor changes allowed as long as the theme is kept to a restoration, not a restomod. If you are planning to use a Predator/clone, it is not a Resto(Vintage) for this Build-Off.

Open class

Must be a 2 wheel minibike.
Any engine, drivetrain, etc.
Must start with a factory made frame.

Scratch Built class

Must be a 2 wheel minibike.
Cannot use a factory made frame, except kits that require the frame to be welded together.
Any engine, drivetrain, etc.

More than 2-wheels class (MTTW)

Karts, trikes or other contraptions that would not fit in the other classes go here.
Any engine, drivetrain, tires, wheels, tracks or ski's are allowed.
Basically anything not on two wheels (no cars or trucks, of course).

"Just for fun" class (JFF)

This class is for builds that have been started already, or just for fun.
Any project that you have can be entered as long as it's related to this hobby.

Rules

1. Start date is Jan 1st 2015
Deadline for entry is Feb 1st 2015
You will not be allowed to enter after that.
Deadline to finish is May 31st 2015.

2. You can start gathering parts and materials but no fab work, paint or anything else started until Jan 1st, 2015.

3. Must be a pic of the bike or parts pile with an OldMiniBikes Build-Off sign when you start your build thread (Entry post). All pics posted during your build must be the same medium size used in last years Build-Off.

4. Like last year an object that I chose must be in the entry post.
Also, this item must be included in every picture that is posted throughout the entire build. I will choose a smaller item for close-ups or detailed pics where the other item would not fit.
I will announce the item on Dec 31st.

5. Must be at least one update by the 15th of every month for each of your builds.
After the entry pic, your next required update is by or on February 15th.
Even is nothing has been done or you are finished, you must post.
If you do not post at least once a month your build will be moved to avoid clutter.

6. Finished bike must be a runner.
A photo or video of you riding your entry will be required at the end of the build-off to be eligible for voting.

7. This year I would like to bring back trophies! Make use of those old mini bike parts gathering dust, and turn them into something any Minibiker would be proud to have on their mantle. The only requirement is the builder must be willing to ship their trophy, at their cost, to the winner of the selected class above. Post below or PM me if you are interested in making a trophy, helping out, or sending some parts we can use for trophys.

8. There will be voting in all classes. There will also be a vote for which trophy goes to which class. The Trophy vote will happen before the Build Off voting.

9. Any negative comments or bashing will not be tolerated.

All of these rules are pretty straight-forward.

I may add to these if I think of anything else before the start.

Oh, and before I forget, Hent may have hinted at some OldMiniBikes Warehouse gift certificates for the winners of each class!

Bottom line people, let's have fun with this!!!
I'm doing this to see all the talented people on here to show all of us what can be done by everyone that enters.
Let's just have some fun with this hobby that all of us here enjoy
Looking forward to what you people come up with this year!

I want to thank Yoop again for doing this last year. I stole a lot of this from his post from last year.

Here's Yoop’s entry post from 2014 to give everyone an idea of how it’s done.

trinik7597

not a question i would just like to say thanks to the guys like don and yoop who take their personal time to make these things happen :thumbsup: never did a build off before but i cant wait ordered a bunch of parts and about to order more :laugh: super excited to get started and thanks again :thumbsup:

not a question i would just like to say thanks to the guys like don and yoop who take their personal time to make these things happen :thumbsup: never did a build off before but i cant wait ordered a bunch of parts and about to order more :laugh: super excited to get started and thanks again :thumbsup:
Same here another build off vigin!! Super excited to get to building and following everyone elses!! :thumbsup:

Started a project 2years ago, (boy how time fly's), Thanks for the Just For Fun Category, Maybe (I said maybe dang it), I could pull it off this time as long as the object picked on Dec 31st is not Gold Krugerands. Hopefully its a Partridge Family's album on 8 track!!:laugh:
zzz9999.JPG

Yes Stangrcr1 , your personal time devoted to this is greatly appreciated !! Can't wait , I may have 3 builds going this year , I'll be in the dog house for sure , at least until May , lol

This will be my second build off :thumbsup: In 2013 I took on 2 and didn't finish either :doah: This year I will only be doing one and will have all the big parts powder coated so no waiting for spring to paint :thumbsup:

I'm bringing my A game so the rest of you should too :drinkup:

buckeye

I am bustin out all the stops. Not letting a kid or Havasu Dave beat me again.:laugh:
Just fun to me to see the talent and I learn more each time.

Naah, I could care less if I get a single vote.

Thanks for running the funny farm Don. You have much more testosterone than I.

I have been asked about disassembly and pressure washing/cleaning...

Disassembly is ok if you feel like it, or so you can find out what parts you need to order. Some people may be starting with nothing more than a basket of parts they bought off of CL. Many entries start the Build Off as a pile of disassembled parts. That is expected.

Cleaning is where we can have issues. Pressure washing your project for disassembly is ok, but thats it. Save the Evaporust, Oxalic acid, Acetone, sandblasting, soap and brushes, etc til after January 1st.

We start in less than two weeks. What's the hurry? Go enjoy the holiday season. Merry Christmas!

Rule number 6 says you must post a picture of yourself riding the entry. My question is, can it be someone else riding it for the picture, someone with a little more courage? Rich

This will be my second build off :thumbsup: In 2013 I took on 2 and didn't finish either :doah: This year I will only be doing one and will have all the big parts powder coated so no waiting for spring to paint :thumbsup:

I'm bringing my A game so the rest of you should too :drinkup:
You've touched on the question I was just going to ask. So things like bringing parts or frames in to be powder coated (Or media blasted, painted etc...) are allowed? Or is this contest strictly a DIY dealie? That deadline is tough. For me at least.

buckeye

I was going to do two. Don threw down one of them. I have already soaked rust off my vintage build.
So, down to one in the open class....

I was going to do two. Don threw down one of them. I have already soaked rust off my vintage build.
So, down to one in the open class....
I don't see what the big deal is. You could have already had a stripped frame you bought last year and no one would say anything about using it for a build off.

I don't see the reason for having to register for the build off by Jan 31st either. As long as you have the required icon in the photo, does it matter? Some of us don't have any problem with the time allocation, being retired, The difficult part is trying to figure out which engine is coming when, and what frame to use for what engine.