212 cc prediter engine governer arm. throttle troubles and removal

i took a brand new out of the box 212 cc prediter engine and put the honda clone electrodes and flywheel on it. i ran the cord safely behind a heat sheild that i ground down slighly to accomodate it. the nut on the crankshaft goes halfway on (litterally half of the nuts threads are used) i used blue locktite and an air hammer. where it all went wrong is i messed with the governer arm and it got moved from its mounted factory home on the governer post. after trying dilligently to get her running with a return spring and a whole lot of idle screw positioning, i eventually got it to start and idle for its three hour break in time but it did not start after. i am now absolutely stumped on where to go from here and i just wanna ride. i now have both of my bikes down and the weather in michigan is getting really nice.

Honda and honda clones have a different sized taper than the predator. You need to know which predator you have as the hemi version uses one flywheel and the other predator 212's use another. Honda and clones yet another.

It is in fact a hemi and I'm surprised it got started at all with how far the flywheel was away from the engine block. It starts just fine with the original flywheel. I'll never forget this mistake again and I'll be sure to pass this info onto anyone that I see doesn't know it period thank you very much

If you are trying to put lighting coils on it then you need to use a kohler CH270 lighted flywheel which is same taper as hemi predator.

update on what the issue was. the spring that is wrapped around the thin rod running from the governor arm to the carb. it was somehow too short. i had to very time consumingly elongate the spring and i think i finally got the throttle lever on the carburetor correctly. its really hard to do because of the air box. you have to remove/replace it every time you want to try to see if you have that spring right and start it.
SO, I've learned to ABSOLUTELY BE CAREFUL OF YOUR THROTTLE SPRINGS WHEN YOURE DOING ANYTHING WITH YOUR PREDATOR ENGINE! the littlest bit of bend means the world to how your engine will run and perform.

I don't know from the hemi, but I took the coils from my clone, put them on a predator, then put the clone 3 magnet flywheel on.
Runs fine, and I have lights.

Bought a brand new, 212 Predator... Got the engine all connected, choke on, started right up... kid got on the bike, waited 30 seconds, open choke and the friggin thing bolted to 20 mph instantly.... with no throttle on. WTH? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

T-Town Mini

Bought a brand new, 212 Predator... Got the engine all connected, choke on, started right up... kid got on the bike, waited 30 seconds, open choke and the friggin thing bolted to 20 mph instantly.... with no throttle on. WTH? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Loosen the retaining nut holding the throttle arm so that it's free to operate in it's full range of motion. You can also remove the friction washer located under the throttle arm to eliminate the problem.
Do that first then, as an option, you add a second return spring...Click Here: https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...142955-throttle-retun-spring.html#post1112943

You'll also want to check your cable set-up to ensure it's not sticking. For safety, next time you start it up either remove the chain or prop it up on blocks to test it with the drive wheel off the ground. When you've resolved the issue then give it another run.

Last edited:
for one reason or another the throttle springs got tweaked and there isn't any return tension on the throttle to the carb. messing with the springs will change how the lever on the carb behaves so its just a crapshoot of trying this then trying that. or you can just buy new springs. they are super cheap on the OldMiniBikes.com page

SAS289

You're supposed to break in the engines for three hours? Hmmm... first I heard about it... just running all alone, no riders?
Isn't that something? 3 hours to break in what amounts to a cheap lawn mower engine. Now that is funny. So, when I buy a new lawn mower am I to let it run in the driveway for 3 hours before I use it? Break in right? lol.

Just fire that thing up, let it warm up, then ride.