212 hemi?

Cuda54

How much horse power can you get out of the HEMI 212? Using premium gas with no bottles or Turbos. Just new rod cam flywheel and carb. Or anything else to get more power out of the HEMI 212. What is the highest HP anyone has gotten?

trinik7597

You can get into the 20 hp range with any 6.5hp ohv engine but it is not cheap to get there ... mdb won Brad hills motor builder challenge last year with 28.9 hp Barry young took second at 28.7 and there is a motor that did an undocumented 28.8 that I am in possession of ... another member here bdomit01 put up very respectable numbers as well

Twid

You can get into the 20 hp range with any 6.5hp ohv engine but it is not cheap to get there ... mdb won Brad hills motor builder challenge last year with 28.9 hp Barry young took second at 28.7 and there is a motor that did an undocumented 28.8 that I am in possession of ... another member here bdomit01 put up very respectable numbers as well
In a interview MDB said the only reason he won is because he was the only one who gas ported the piston and cut extra groves for extra rings, to cut the 13% loss of hp though blow by. A trick he learned from Bill "Grumpy" Jankine.

trinik7597

Yeah watched the pod cast .... and I would say at .1 oh a hp difference it was a tie .. my point was you can get a ton of hp out of one of these ... my hemi which is only a hemi block should be around 25 and a good reliable motor ... all depends on what you want to spend and what you want to use it for

There's a huge spread between the "most HP" and a usable engine.
Your bolt-on recipe plus a pipe sounds 12-13hp of fairly reliable power.
Usable engine I think is often lost or usable power for that fact. Everybody seems to want the biggest and most HP numbers but when you are out riding in the yard more often than not a more torquey engine is way more fun. Tons of people can't understand they don't want an engine you have to throttle to it's about to blow up just to ride around the yard on. Then again an engine can be built to make so much power it will eat itself up the first 30 minutes of it's life. Might be great in a HP build off but not so much for something you want to have fun on.

In a interview MDB said the only reason he won is because he was the only one who gas ported the piston and cut extra groves for extra rings, to cut the 13% loss of hp though blow by. A trick he learned from Bill "Grumpy" Jankine.
I can give credit where it's due and Mr Jankine might have been the first to incorporate that trick in a small engine like these but those tricks have been around for a long time. I can remember dad teaching me the stuff on small block chevy drag engines back in the mid to late 80s. I'm surprised it has taken that long to bleed over to engine building competitions for these. Maybe it's just taken that long for somebody to finally let their "secrets" out

Last edited:

trinik7597

The most hp is not always the answer .... as stated. The proper combination of parts and what you plan on using it for should all be taken into consideration before even ordering your first part ...

Cuda54

Well then how much torque can you get out of one then? The torque is the fun part anyway. But with HP comes torque too.

Cam and port velocity. Generally a smaller bore (not than stock) carb makes more torque as well.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

trinik7597

Minibikin is right cam and different head work and carb make torque vs hp its all about the combination of parts for what you want to accomplish