212cc Chinese ATV Clone - Heavily modded

Just wanted to post a project I am just about done with.

This was originally an Eton Viper with a 70cc engine(or was it 90?).

Album Link

Things I did:
-Remove old 2stroke engine, wiring crap
-Added your garden variety Harbor Freight 212cc predator engine
-Hilliard Extreme heavy duty clutch 10 tooth
-Changed rear sprocket to 60 tooth
-Cone filter/OldMiniBikes exhaust/140 e-tube and .36 jet
-Added luggage/stuff rack and game towing hook (for hunting, not towing)

Things that had to be done that were royal hell:
-Weld a sturdy flat plate across the frame to attach the motor to
-Weld idle sprocket in a way that would not need a spring tensioner as the swingarm swung
-Flip swing arm over. Just an FYI the rear axles on this one is not centered so I had to cut the rear shock mount and recenter it.
-Relocate the rear brake caliper because it was just inches above the ground after flipping the axle.
-Relocate/modify the feet rest because they were where the motor needed to go
-Locate exhaust tubing for the angles needed to stay underneath the seat

I just need to put the plastic stuff back on but I am contemplating keep it naked/sheet metal panels .

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
i think it must fly!!
we are in mid stage of same type/style project,except we used a 5 hp flathead briggs instead of a predator.
i didnt even think a clone would fit in there...Nice Work!

apparently i never took any pics of ours after the initial mockup.
we are at the point where you were,fixing the swing arm/chain setup.
tomm im gonna go see if i can stuff a diff motor in there,TY for the Inspiration!
looking at the pics,it appears you have the next size up atv,while ours is the tiny one...?
or maybe its all the added bars,i cant really tell.

apparently i never took any pics of ours after the initial mockup.
we are at the point where you were,fixing the swing arm/chain setup.
tomm im gonna go see if i can stuff a diff motor in there,TY for the Inspiration!
looking at the pics,it appears you have the next size up atv,while ours is the tiny one...?
or maybe its all the added bars,i cant really tell.

That looks like the Eton Viper Jr.
E-Ton Junior Viper JXL 40

Ah! I see now!

Nice work! :thumbsup: Keep the "Road Warrior" look. It suits it well.

About the only thing I would suggest is to move the motor a bit forward and run a jackshaft to cut down on the chain lengths.

Oh, and if you are running in dirt/mud areas, maybe move the air filter. Like this:

And put a guard to keep the mud off it.

Last edited:
Im curious how the chain tensioner will work when you give it the throttle and your set up is under load. They work better on the bottom of the chain.

i was wondering the same thing about the tensioner. it will probably wear out the bearings in it faster since it will have the power tension holding on it instead of pulling up slack on the not power side...

i would have left the axle and used a jackshaft, but it looks like you got it in there and if it works well hey have fun

btw, check every other bolt on that thing. things like to get loose and if they do it wears stuff out quick. if there is play in between the axle and hubs, i have often used a round or two of electrical tape to take up the slack, not sure how that holds up to adult use though!

Cool project! Not into 4 wheelers that much, but I really like this one, especially stripped down like you got it, never seen one without its skin. I can identify with the engine. Looks mean, man! :pimp: