230lbs on a Db30 with 212cc and hills?

Ok, so my only experience with Mini Bikes (if they count) is Honda Z50's. I've had a bunch of them, well long story short house fire took all of them several years ago. Haven't gotten back into it until this week. My kids are finally getting old enough to play too, soo, I bought a DB30 and I'm having second thoughts while reading about the 212's..

The DB I've got has a Predator 79cc on it and the performance is miserable. Not anywhere near a Z50 with an 88cc head swap and I've seen similar comments about 212 equipped DB's having little to no performance on inclines.

Anyway, the plan is to run this DB30 chasing my kids on their off road toys. Little to no paved running. Little to no FLAT area. Off road with hills.

Is a DB30 with a Predator 212 going to give the performance worth messing with or should I just drop the $$ on another Z50 and start messing with them again?

Last edited:
The DB with a 212 will more than keep up with the kids and more .. however it will also be a wheelie machine .. I'm sure there are owners on here who can tell you how to tame the beast.

My 2-cents? Go with the mini bike ... no shifting is needed with a mini bike, it's just twist and go!

The DB with a 212 will more than keep up with the kids and more .. however it will also be a wheelie machine .. I'm sure there are owners on here who can tell you how to tame the beast.

My 2-cents? Go with the mini bike ... no shifting is needed with a mini bike, it's just twist and go!
So, it's not going to have any issues getting up a hill? My 79cc goes fine, once it gets "on plane" but with all the little hills around here, it doesn't have a chance. I have to get off and walk it up the hill just to turn around and go the other direction..

The difference between a stock 79cc and a stock 212 Predator motor is night and day ...
My friend Dan has a 212 on a DB ... my Granddaughters call him "Crash" because that bike has gotten away from him!
Watching people who have never ridden it for the first time is always entertaining ...
And if you have a need for further Speed/Power there are loads of tutorials as well as performance parts available.

All that being said I have 2 old school 1970 Heathkit Hilltoppers with TAV setups ... very controllable Power and Speed ...
100_8300_zps28dc536c.jpg

The above pictured bike is Yoop's ... and maybe on day I can pry it from his cold, dead hands ...

Ding Ding

IMO, It depends how fast you want to go, speed wise. Not all of the performance is determined by the cubic centimeters in the engine, but also the gearing and clutching. The Z50's you are familiar with are geared correctly from the factory to work well with the size of the engine. I assume the DB you have has stock clutching designed for a child or someone weighing considering less than 230. This isn't to say you won't get a decent bang for the buck upgrading to the 212cc, but the correct drivetrain can make all the difference. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
IMO, It depends how fast you want to go, speed wise. Not all of the performance is determined by the cubic centimeters in the engine, but also the gearing and clutching. The Z50's you are familiar with are geared correctly from the factory to work well with the size of the engine. I assume the DB you have has stock clutching designed for a child or someone weighing considering less than 230. This isn't to say you won't get a decent bang for the buck upgrading to the 212cc, but the correct drivetrain can make all the difference. Just something to think about.
Yep, my plan is to set it up properly for my weight and performance expectations. Just wanted to make sure my goals are attainable.

I don't need top end. Just looking for the low end grunt to carry my portly self up some mild hills.

Last edited: