3/4" jackshaft bearings

Hey Guys

Im working on a jackshaft setup for my Boonie. I got a 3/4 jackshaft kit from BMI. The bearings look cheep! Has anyone used these bearings? Does anyone know where to get good high speed 3/4 I.D. and 1-3/8 O.D. bearings?

Josh

Let me see what I've got in the shop...I have some that are really good quality with no snap ring for sure...ended up not using them for a project...I'll check the OD, but it's probably bigger than 1-3/8"...the balls are too big for a 3/4" bore to be 1-3/8" OD...usually 1.5"

What kind of bearing housing did they send?

I have a slotted/adjustable tube housing for these bearings...all yours if you want it...I'll shoot pics so you can see...

Hey Yellowhand

Heres the pics of how i was going to make the jackshaft. I didnt have any square stock, so i welded up a few pc of angle iron. I was going to drill holes in it for bolts then slot the engine frame. Then i was going to use another pc of angle iron to help support the bearing hangers.

If you have a better setup im all over it! Thanks for the help.

Josh

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You don't want to use those bearings. The jr.dragster used sealed high speed bearings for there 3/4" jackshaft. Check out my Salsbury TC minibike it has a 3/4" jackshaft.

delray

hey josh, if you do have one close by. just take your parts with you and drive over. thisway you know it will fit:thumbsup:
:scooter: ........................:thumbsup:

delray

josh,if you do have luck with them? you may want to ask them if you can set-up account with them,so you can get a discount price
:scooter: ...................:thumbsup:

I just finished printing out the wedding photos...the camera memory was full.

I took the camera out to the shop to shoot the 3/4" bearings and tubes, and there wasn't room for even one photo...

Back soon...with pics.

If any of you guys are Gloria Estefan fans...it was her neice Sara's wedding...she and my wife are buddies. Emilio's a really nice guy too...

The photos are in my album now...

The bearings are Japanese-made...1-5/8" OD...3/4" ID

The housing is an old Carter...8-3/4" long, but can be shortened...

A few different sprockets...one is #35 pitch...the rest are #40/41...

Assorted sheaves and belts if you want to go that route...the Comet series 40 driven unit works, but has no driver unit, but I have a good Comet-brand belt for it.

I used a shortened-housing setup just like this and made a mounting plate that was slotted in the opposite direction of the slots in the housing so I could easily adjust it both side-to-side and forwards and backwards...works good.

Those housings can have a few inches chopped from the center if needed...a sized rod inserted through the bore while welding them back together keeps everything aligned.

Let me know if any of this stuff is usable and I'll box it up...less for me to pack up and haul to Nebraska next week.

Hey Yellowhand

It would take alot of modifications to get it to work the way i need. I need the center of the jackshaft to be about 4-1/2" off the frame. Also it has to be 6-1/2" long. So it would have to sit higher. I have a good idea on how to make one similar to that. Do you have any pipe with a 1-3/8" I.D.? i could use the tubeing as a jackshaft/ bearing hanger. Then use a pc of square stock and notch it to fit the tubeing (so it would look like a T) Then weld it on a pc of flat stock with holes in it, and use the original slots in the frame for adjustment. Do you have any tubing of that size? What do you think?

Josh

That'll work...

Do you want 1-3/8" ID for sure? Did you find some precision bearings that size OD?

I have some of that 1-3/8" ID heavy wall tubing for making steering tubes...and the lathe is still set up...how long do you want the tube to be...I'm not sure if you mean 6-1/2" total, or just tube.

Not a great pic...

This frame has a tube like I think you're describing...1-3/8" ID, raised up off the frame...but this one is welded and braced...you're going to put yours on an adjustable plate?

Hey Yellowhand

It could be for the 1-5/8" bearing, it doesnt have the snap ring so thats why i said the 1-3/8", unless you have an idea on how to make the 1-5/8" work. It has to be around 6-1/2" Im leaving a little room to play with just incase.

Josh

My wife stole the idea for a trike from you...she liked the photos of yours.

"Honey, I want one of those...make me one...same color as my go-kart".

Thanks, man...

Okay...6-1/2" tube...let me see what sizes I have...the snap rings won't be critical if the tube is counterbored the same width as the bearing and pressed in...the slightly smaller ID of the unbored inner tube acts as a stop...so if I have some bigger tubing, I'll make both sizes and send them.

I'll let ya know what I can come up with tomorrow...

Hey Yellowhand

Just make the trike safer for her. Mine is dangerous! But its fun as hell!

Thanks for the help with the jackshaft. I think this is going to look better.

Josh

I didn't get to the project yesterday...I will today.

I'm leaning heavily towards the bigger tubing, though...so you can use those precision bearings I have...

I'll have something soon...