3 Disc Racing clutches; Suggestions/Recommendations?

Daniel Coop

Looking to upgrade racing clutches from a drum style, Noram Premier Stinger, most likely to a 3 disc, 6 spring Bully style clutch, but haven't had any experience with one yet. I've been looking at the Viper clutches
Viper 6-Spring 3-Disc Clutch from Mile High Powersports, due to its relative affordability in comparison to the competition, but was wondering if anyone had any experience, with them or the "Goldie Locks" clutch
"Goldie Locks" Disc Clutch (1 , 2 or 3 disc) from Dover Power? I'd like the Vortex "red" clutch by SMC,
but am having a hard time paying nearly $400 for just a clutch... Any suggestions or knowledge, successes and or failures would be appreciated...

noseoil

Daniel, no experience, but a general observation on the type of clutch you're looking at. Take a look at the friction material & discs to see what you need & a disc clutch just makes sense if you're really looking for performance & lock-up.

A good 3 disc clutch with adjustment on the springs will be far superior to any centrifugal clutch you find. The Bully clutch is about the best there is for a strong motor. They run them on the heavier karts, so on a bike it should be durable & pretty much up to whatever you throw at it. One of the guys up in Phoenix raced his bike with a Cheetah on a dirt oval & it did't hold up too well for him, so he sold it.

Take a look at Carlson Morotsports & see if they have a rebuilt one you can use. It would save a little $ and you still have a good clutch, plus they will tune it for you to the bike you're building it for. They do a lot of work with them & are a reputable builder of these clutches. From what I've read, the Bully is the best of the bunch & if you can get one that's completely rebuilt & set up for you, it's the best of both worlds but either one would work on a bike.

Please let us know what you find & how it works once you get things dialed in & running.

I have a 3 disc Bully clutch on my race kart. Hard to beat and well worth the money in my opinion. My engine (Predator with a full stroker kit Dnyo'd at 22 h.p.) shreaded the teeth of a drum clutch.

Attachments

There's lots of disc clutches out there. I have raced karts for the past 9 years. The engines range from stockers to opens. The best disc clutches for the money are Bully or Martinbuilt. You can usually find a good rebuilt Bully or Martinbuilt for about $175. The Goldie Locks clutch is a copy of a Martinbuilt clutch. Depending on the horsepower you are making a 2 disc clutch should be more than adequate.

I’ve used a el Diablo clutch. Worked very nice and came set up how you want [stall rpm] for a few bucks less then a bully. Website is gofasthp.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk