3 wheeled mini bike

Mac

If you build one, build it so the rear piece unbolts....that way after you've tipped it over sideways a few times you can return it to it's original glory. They banned three-wheelers from the factories due to their unstable nature. Build it as a four-wheeler and make it safer.

wjustice

Sorry but as a fan of some 3 wheelers, they were never "banned". There was a stop production agreement before legal action took place.

If you build one, build it so the rear piece unbolts....that way after you've tipped it over sideways a few times you can return it to it's original glory. They banned three-wheelers from the factories due to their unstable nature. Build it as a four-wheeler and make it safer.

Do you have a parts list (brakes, axles, etc) for the back end of that blue mini quad? It would be a great help. Thanks

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
This is someone's build with discussed up-grades for strength and function.

Can't recall the thread,,,

No parts list, so ya just have to wing it.

Mac

Do you have a parts list (brakes, axles, etc) for the back end of that blue mini quad? It would be a great help. Thanks
No list, it was so long ago.

The rear axle was a solid 3/4" rod, the brakes were either a clutch brake
or a single wheel internal expanding brake inside the left rear drive wheel.

really not difficult to convert a regular minibike to 3 wheels. using a differential is not recommended so that makes it even easier. the main thing is converting your frame to hold a rotating axle. so you need to drill out your hangers or make some other mounts on it so that they can hold bearings. you can use flanged bearings and possibly bolt onto the original mounts. either 3/4" or 1" axle will work. its easy to find wheels for them off of riding mowers. and alot of old 70s and 60s snowblowers have 3/4" sprocket components that can work.

Mac

What was used to hold the axle?
I drilled out the original 5/8" axle holes to 3/4" and tack welded the 3/4"
rod to the tabs. I then welded a jackshaft(tube) onto the left side of the
frame to run out to where a standard Azusa TriStar rim and sprocket were.
Miniquad was one wheel drive.:smile:

why is using a diff not recommended? it will make it turn better.

3 wheelers are like f16s. they are inherently unstable but highly maneuverable. if you know what you are doing you can manage one just fine. if you treat it like a four wheeler and try to screw around you will get hurt really fast.

why is using a diff not recommended? it will make it turn better.

3 wheelers are like f16s. they are inherently unstable but highly maneuverable. if you know what you are doing you can manage one just fine. if you treat it like a four wheeler and try to screw around you will get hurt really fast.
look at all the japanese 3 wheelers they all have straight axles. reason being when you lift the inside tire around a turn its spins and when it sets down it sends you into a wheelie and sometimes off onto your ass. too high a center of gravity to get away with a diff. the older ones that are low like the alsport's and stuff have diffs because they are nice and low and handle more like a gokart

Why not use the spiderbox from a Yerf-dog go cart connected to a scoot front end ?
I'm trying to get one together now, I'm mixing 06 hysung front fork to the spiderbox (BMI 150cc). I just decided I'm doing it wrong and going to dump the rear shocks and make it a hard tail. cutting the spiderbox and moving it forward in frame as motor mount, directly under seat. chain drive from xmission jack shaft to rear axle...:scooter:

<------ View my photos on left

Note: build Monst_1 & 2 are photos of a bad build idea

Last edited:
Buy a doodlebug and weld flanges off the back and use bearing hangers then install a peerless diff from an older john deer riding mower or buy a new differential and install it. You wont be welding on a vintage mini plus you can buy them cheap.

I have a one wheel drive swap meet buggy built from a kick scooter but it needs flat ground, 2hp briggs that will be replaced with a 3.5 soon. The thing is dangerous and needs a gear reduction or jackshaft and lower gearing because it has poor takeoff but goes too fast for safe once you get it rolling although I ride it on the drive wheel and front for fun, one day I will get around to refining it but it gets me around the neighborhood just fine.