303 Wankel Azusa Build

Good stuff. We gotta race when I get the clutch all set up haha. I'm going to make a belt drive off the motor to a jackshaft welded on the frame, then run a Noram Star Clutch off the jackshaft to the rear wheels.

I wish it was that exciting... The transmission is turning out to be a real pain because it requires a fair bit of machining, and all I got is an angle grinder

I'm out of state for work till August 15th so I'm hoping to come back and do er the latter half of August.

Update:

Got a Gilmer belt drive water pump kit for a small block chevy off of ebay.

Had a tapered puck made from S7 steel to fit on the crank and bolt up one of the pulleys. I'm going to run a jackshaft to the engine, then run the clutch off of the jackshaft to the wheel so the front to back on the chain can be easily aligned, since the engine crank sticks quite a ways out from being in alignment with the rear sprocket.

This vid is of a bracket I am making for the jackshaft, a rough sketch of how it will bolt up to the azusa frame in solidworks:

https://youtu.be/GRTD68_tIog

jackshaftmount.png

The engine crank adapter. Basically a puck of steel with a tapered bore and holes to bolt up the sbc water pump pulley

adapter2.png adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be clear the adapter is already made and on the engine with one of the two gilmer drive pulleys. I will have pics of it up this weekend.

Just some general pics of the adapter being turned down and some final surface grinding to get it as flat and symmetrical as possible, since its gonna be on the crank!

(Not me in the picture, I don't own a machine shop so I found someone who does :thumbsup:)

20170104_162925.jpg 20170104_161033.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Builds! I ran across a Wankel engine (KM 48) myself and put it on an Azusa kit.

20170326_170833.jpg 20170326_170850.jpg

What kind of carb did you guys go with? Put a 22mm Mikuni on mine and I'm having a heck of time getting it to idle.

Nice Builds! I ran across a Wankel engine (KM 48) myself and put it on an Azusa kit.

View attachment 97597 View attachment 97598

What kind of carb did you guys go with? Put a 22mm Mikuni on mine and I'm having a heck of time getting it to idle.
I put a mikuni VM30-83 on mine, although its pretty big compared to your KM48. I actually have a KM48 I'm piecing together as well, I'm having the PTO flywheel custom made by a gentleman in the UK as parts are impossible to find.

As of now I'm machining the transmission assembly, more pics to come soon! I'm far from a machinist so bear with me as I take forever to make this happen lol.