340 salsbury series

delray

i was just at the web site and i see they still have it listed as undevelopment and still list it for up to 8hp. if they are making it with a steel spline and billet pulley it should hold double that hp easy. stock cast aluminum splines was the only weak point it had. hopefully you will see it couple days and go from there.
also see they list it with a 1700 stall. that would be the green rollers. my NOS unit has this too.

stall chart

I noticed that the Salisbury has a rounded part on the outboard side where the clutch engages, looks like a bell.
What the Polar gives you is a straight drum, and then you can use ramps and rollers to alter the “bell” shape to get it in the sweet spot. It’s not for everyone but for drag racing it is pretty hard to beat.
Launch at 5000rpm? Sure. Wind it up to 9000? Sure.
No problem, it is built to take it.
I was not a believer. My engine guy told me to do it right away. I had already bought a very expensive centri clutch and said nope not yet.
Ran it with the centri and although it did run quick, I was running a 200 something cc flathead against a heavily modified GX390 and we ran neck and neck but ultimately he beat me.
So then I knew I needed both the launch and the top end. Using a centri clutch will always be a compromise between the two. The mechanical advantage of the multiple gear ratios is huge

Go power sports has them now on their website but for a tav 30 so I’m guessing a asymmetrical belt which is not compatibility with a symmetrical driven. They rate it to 8500 rpm.

delray

see that too ole4. also note that the back pulley is made out of stamp steel(heavy) and not like the real jr dragster 340 is made out of machine billet aluminum. also wonder how well a 30 series style belt works under a lot of power with only one side gripping and the other flat...note good for racing.
also said out of stock...! one good thing it won't hang up like a comet 30 series will when it gets hot.

delray

a guy could break the weld on the back and tig a 20 series plate on. needs to be true when welding it. also on a 20 series if I am correct you need to run the rear driven inbound or make it out bound and make it float so the belt is line correct at full engagement.

I guess it would be good for the issues the tav 30 guys have and if it is the same as the 330/340 you can still find the different weight rollers to taylor engagement speeds.

delray

yes,definitely better then nothing. I would like try one on my thunderbolt bike that I incorporated a 30series 7 inch driven. i'm still running a cast flywheel and the the bike only turns about 6000+ at the max. I can't get the belt to slip with 7 inch on it and it probably doesn't have enough power to slip......lol. I do notes after riding very hard on my property the 30 series driver likes to get hot and starts to get inconsistent on the engagement. this new unit would fix that problem right away.
just not sure if it will fit under my cover. i will have to look into that?

delray

other big question, is this the same unit that gtc is going to make. go power doesn't have the tooling or shop to do this? and gtc does. when roccosbike ask them if the part is steel? is this what they meant. if indeed they are the ones making it? also go power shows it out of stock. maybe ready in june? like gtc was saying to roccosbike. I guest we will see soon. either way for the honda,animal,tecumseh,clone hot rod engines are way over do for a good torque converter setup that can handle the extra power.
if they do make this unit? the standard 30 series driver is done. for the serious hot rod builder once you try it you will never want to go back.

delray

I went back and did little more searching on this at go powersports and I did find them saying they will be getting them in march.

delray

well I hope this new replacement torque converter works good for the people that want it. I see in the FB world a lot of people want it bad. there is just couple down falls in my opinion,but not as bad as the 30 series units are. I still my prefer original jr drag unit that part of it is machine out of billet aluminum(making it very light) and running it with a third bearing support I can get away with running a lite flywheel. allowing the engine to rev much quicker when drag racing it. I don't think the new wannabe 340/juggernaut could run with a lite flywheel because of the unit made out of stamp steel(unbalance material and heavier unit) hopefully it will run ok with a regular billet flywheel and not create any unbalance/vibrations like the 30 series does. also I still like the fact that I can run two sides of my belt and grip the pulleys(20 series design) not like the 30 series that only grips one side.
not good if your motor is putting out a lot of hp power.

joshua. c.

I just read what that picture you posted says on that new juggernaut torque converter, if it even comes close to doing what it says it can, I'll take three. but ill start with just one until it proves itself. do you think it'll work best with the 7 inch driven ? It might be set up for the 6 inch. also I like an engagement slightly higher at 3100, I wonder if it'll come with different spring options. this also states tested up to 8500 rpms that's much higher than a comet 20 driver could handle. and it appears to be a mix of the comet 20 series and salsbury 330 series designs. I think it solves the salsbury 330s aluminum back plate weakness issue. I'm glad to finally see an affordable higher performance racing oriented torque converter option coming to the market soon. I cant wait to see how it dose.

What weakness issue? I have both comet 340 and salsbury 330’s and one with the steel replacement piece on a 340. Never had a issue with any of them. The juggernaut has a asymmetrical pulley and to me it will have less grip than a true v belt. Still better than the current 30 series but not as good as a real 330/340.

I pre ordered one as well. Planning on testing it with a genuine comet driven unit we will see how it works. I put in an email to gps asking about different springs and weights and if the comet parts are compatible we will see what they have to say

Li'l Popeye

see that too ole4. also note that the back pulley is made out of stamp steel(heavy) and not like the real jr dragster 340 is made out of machine billet aluminum. also wonder how well a 30 series style belt works under a lot of power with only one side gripping and the other flat...note good for racing.
also said out of stock...! one good thing it won't hang up like a comet 30 series will when it gets hot.
Wow... just....wow...
This thing looks good.
It will help get rid of vibrations, caused by the stock driver weights.
I'm just curious how this will work with a stock 6" driven. As engagement (2500rpm) is like a stock 30 series driver.
Will it allow the engine to reach higher rpm's (as stock driver at approx 4000rpm) before the clutch is fully "engaged"? I mean; does it have a wider rpm range between engagement rpm and fully engaged rpm?
If it's fully engaged at 8500 rpm, it's not suitable for all engines.
Would the 6" driven need some adjustments with use of this driver? Stiffer spring, etc...
I guess it might be handy to order some spare belts along with it.

delray

Wow... just....wow...
This thing looks good.
It will help get rid of vibrations, caused by the stock driver weights.
I'm just curious how this will work with a stock 6" driven. As engagement (2500rpm) is like a stock 30 series driver.
Will it allow the engine to reach higher rpm's (as stock driver at approx 4000rpm) before the clutch is fully "engaged"? I mean; does it have a wider rpm range between engagement rpm and fully engaged rpm?
If it's fully engaged at 8500 rpm, it's not suitable for all engines.
Would the 6" driven need some adjustments with use of this driver? Stiffer spring, etc...
I guess it might be handy to order some spare belts along with it.
right now I only know of one person that has use this unit and has no problems yet with it. it works just like a 30 series unit ,but better. it relies on rollers and springs just like the 340 did. I still think there is just couple small drawbacks in the design. not exactly the same as the 340 is, but for the most part it's better then the stock 30 series unit works. 8500 is the maximum rpm this unit can spin. if you have the red spring in your driven? just leave it for now. it should work just fine for most applications.
little off the subject,but if go power sports keeps coming out with exclusive parts that only they are selling. they will kill all the other venders that are trying to sell minibike and gokart parts.

Li'l Popeye

little off the subject,but if go power sports keeps coming out with exclusive parts that only they are selling. they will kill all the other venders that are trying to sell minibike and gokart parts.
It's a marketing strategy. Once you have the customers coming to you, they might as well order other parts, too. They better lower their prices for international customers ;). I haven't pre-ordered the Juggs-thingy. First I'll keep playing with what I've got.