3D Clutch with PMR Jackshaft on Motovox

Finally got around to installing this ...Had to flip a lot of parts around, add shims here and there and had to order Azusa type C sprocket to replace type B on the primary side to get the clearances right and add a locking collar to compensate for the loss of the type B sprockets set screws. Only problem is that the clutch perch is installed on the right side of the handlebars because of the rear hydraulic brake perch has to be on the left this makes for an awkward arrangement with the throttle..but...

Daniel Coop

Why not just run the 3D clutch straight back to a smaller sprocket? Have you ran it yet? That's a lot of stuff hanging off the side of the PTO shaft. How much of that is clutch setup is hanging off the end of the shaft? I had a similar setup on my DB, but just with an ARC Mongrel, (Max Torque style) drum clutch and it was hanging off the end of the shaft more than I would have liked. I ended up ditching it all for a racing clutch, straight chained back to the sprocket.

If you intend to ever ride a motorcycle, I suggest swapping those lever positions; I would swap them regardless. Just buy a new master cylinder/brake lever; you can get a front brake pit bike unit for next to nothing. I've wondered why minibikes have the brake lever on the left; no logic to it, IMO. As someone relatively new to minibikes but with decades of motorcycle experience, I refuse to adapt to left hand brake levers; I'll adapt my bike(s) to me. If I ever add a front brake to a minibike, I'll set them up like a motorcycle (right lever for front brake; right foot pedal for rear brake).

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...argid=kwd-313642263996&ref=pd_sl_4hyw4kilj3_e

Daniel Coop Firstly GREAT JOB on your'e bike! I like that front hydraulic setup...To answer your'e question ,In my head I was trying to get the best of both worlds..As far as the clutch goes I didn't like the slippage of the hillard centrifugal... didn't like the top end of the TAV..liked the concept of being able to dump the clutch and having instant hook up...That being said, the next natural progression was to complicate the situation with the addition of the jackshaft. I haven't had it out yet but you are right about having a lot of stuff hanging off the PTO. By design the clutch is made to hang off the end of the shaft no matter what you have going on but I have about 1/4' play between the end of the shaft and where it would normally seat within the clutch due to thickness of the jackshaft plate. Who knows It could be an epic failure but I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks

Charles S Thanks. I completely agree. I am greedy though and would like to find a right hand hydraulic perch that is compatible with the micro switch that I currently have installed to operate my brake light. Thanks again.

Charles S Thanks. I completely agree. I am greedy though and would like to find a right hand hydraulic perch that is compatible with the micro switch that I currently have installed to operate my brake light. Thanks again.
Plenty of scooter/dirt bike units with brake light switch available for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Ma...keywords=pit+bike+front+brake+master+cylinder

https://www.amazon.com/XLJOY-Handle...keywords=pit+bike+front+brake+master+cylinder

Did you buy a hydraulic conversion kit or did you piece your system together? The piston bore size of the master cylinder will affect brake action; smaller = more power, longer lever travel; larger = less power, shorter lever travel. As in gearing, there is a ratio involved; with hydraulic disc brakes, it's master cylinder piston dia to caliper piston dia (obviously, multiple pistons and/or multiple calipers figure into more complex systems). Critical for motorcycles, cars, trucks; not critical for a minibike, IMO, as long as it stops the bike. Ideally, IMO, the brake should be powerful enough to require no more than two fingers. When I rode a street bike, I used my index and middle finger on the brake lever, keeping my ring and pinky fingers on the grip. Two fingers are plenty on most modern motorcycle front disc brakes and keeping two fingers on the grip gives you better control of the brake and better control of the bike in general. I intend to do a hydraulic conversion myself; I will piece a system together since the kits have left hand master cylinders. I want to be able to use two finger braking so I will probably use a two piston caliper.

Too bad APT Group killed Motovox to put all of their resources into Motoped. Motovox may have been producing some really cool minibikes by now had they continued developing new products. Those suspension forks on your bike are very hard to find, now; last ones I saw for sale were on eBay for $225, and that was a while ago.

I may be wrong, but, the only purpose I see for the PMR jackshaft is when your desired ratio can not be achieved with two sprockets. For example, you have a small engine with insufficient power but your rear sprocket is as large as you can run without grounding it and your clutch sprocket is the smallest available. Since the jackshaft cost as much as a 212 Predator, the jackshaft doesn't make sense for that scenario, IMO; just swap the engine. The only other scenario I can imagine would be if you were going for more top speed and your clutch sprocket is the largest available and the rear sprocket is the smallest available. I've seen 19t clutch sprockets and 53t (#35) split wheel sprockets (a combination that would result in a 2.789:1 ratio) so I can't imagine that being a need. I may be missing something; I'm sure someone will inform me if there are other purposes for the jackshaft.

I bought a conversion kit last year from Hot Rod MB and at the time he only offered those with a left hand perch...It worked well with minimal pressure when I took it out last year with the hillard clutch installed...Not quite as smooth or responsive as the brakes on my YZ250 but didn't expect them to be...I will hit amazon in the near future to get that right hand perch ...thanks for the links!

I agree Motovox did have a lot of potential, I have always liked their frame design ...as you probably know the mbx11 forks have been sold out for years with a list price of $300 ...I looked for them for almost a year then magically a year and half ago a brand new mbx11 showed up on CL in Philadelphia for $125 about an hour and a half from me here in Annapolis ..Couldn't get out the door fast enough!!! Last year I bought 20 bikes in a lot from some kids and in that lot was a butchered mbx10 with 11 shocks on it, so now I have an additional set!

Now as far as the gearing goes I am uneducated and normally learn the hard way , but I think the reason I included the jackshaft was because at the time 3D Motorsports was only offering a 12T or 13T in a #35...Upon further review I see they are offering up to a 17T in a #35. I never feel bad buying more parts then I need..just one less marital debate in the future!

Thanks for all of you're insight