440 SL find!

Well it is my old Trike missing is the head rest and the rear wheels were changed to 10 inch and were DOT approved And the lighting was increased and it has a set of air horns. The brakes are dual piston and the discs were changed to 10 inch as well. Maybe he kept the crate I built to ship it to him.
Also missing is the lighted flag pole

Last edited:
I don't think it's the same guy you originally sold it to. I ran into the original guy and bought a trike from while your blue trike was in transit. The last time I spoke to him, he had traded everything. It still looks good, even with missing parts! I'm thinking he bought that from you in 2005 or 2006?

Yes it was back then I sold it for $2500.00 and he paid the freight ( Forward Air ) and I also sold him a huge 1200 pound crate with two frames and 3 or 4 engines . I sold that trike back when I had D&D and went back to the original owner in 2002 and bought 2 of his trikes as he could no longer ride, his name was Jack Harkey he was a good friend and one hell of a racer. I shipped the trikes from Portland, Or not Calif.
Steve :scooter:

Last edited:
Sounds great to me just mix up some fuel ( I always did use premium grade fuel and usually Polaris Snowmobile oil. ) I used small baby bottles to keep the batches of oil in. Is there still a block of wood under the fuel tank ? It was used to ensure that the fuel tank stayed up above the driven half of the torque converter.
I sure would like just one more ride on that machine
Enjoy your new ride I always did.

yah the woods still there I worked at Polaris for 25 years I get a discount ill probably run full synth 2 stroke oil that's wat I used to run in my 350 oddesey you don't fowl so many plugs

I am not sure but a bit over 2 gallons but I remember riding out to see the Grand Cooley Dam in Washington ant with the weather @ 106 degrees I opened up the carb to make sure the engine was running rich. So I often carried a 2 gallon gas can on the back rack.

I'm not used to that front end setup do they usualy have a lot of vibration at rode speed I think the shocks might be shot I also backed oof the springs wich seemed to help also the rear tires run angled out at thebottom is that normal I would think the tires would ware on the inside is that adjustable

Now to think about it when I went to 10 inch wheels I did not go to a longer shock. I raised the finders up But it never gave me any issues but I would guess that my weight is greater than yours. As for the front end I would freak people out by steering with my feet on the pegs and I would spread my arms out like I was soaring like an Eagle do that at freeway speeds and watch them back off.

hey steve what size is a stock piston I was riding the other day and the belt started to go and knocked the exhaust off on the #1 piston and I blew ahole in it didn't score it I just need a stock piston and rings

I am not sure but as far as I know it was stock from factory when I owned it. The Jack shaft was made special for me out of better steel and only had keyways where needed.

wjustice

Post up a pic, it may very well be a salsbury 780. They were good for up to around 40-50 hp I think. Also check to see if the brass bushing is still on the driver. If not they tend to drag a bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk