4hp briggs clutch selection/installation

I have a 4hp briggs with no clutch attached to the shaft. I'm looking to buy one, but I don't know which one,type or kind I am going to need. Anyone have an idea? How do they attach? The shaft is smooth with no threads on the outside diamater but it is grooved for a keyway...:confused: Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

the clutches just slide over and are held in place with a set screw or by putting a bolt and washer on the end of the shaft (If able, this is the better mounting way)

In order to buy a clutch, you have to first determine the size of the shaft, It should be 5/8, or 3/4 an inch, Max Torque and Comet Clutches are very good and affordable, I would Try a Max Torque, as they are really common.

The Keyway is to allow the power to go into the clutch without slipping,

Hope that answers all your questions

Last edited:
I was told by MT the ONLY reason they have set screws is for older engines as a last resort and not to use the set screws unless you have to. I drill and tap my shafts on engines that don't have it. Also make sure your clutch and shaft is keyed and Comets rattle less and make less noise.

clutch

I use disc type clutches. like for go kart racing. you will be amazed at the difference. plus you can adjust your stahl speed.set it about 500 rpm below peak torque. and hang on.

clutches

Brian, what ones do you prefer?

(they are amazing, but youll also be amazed at the price...)
I have used bulleys since they came out. but before that always horstman mdc 400. imo bulley is a badass clutch. raced karts for years still do some. cant really take much of the abuse.having to work supporting a family.