5HP Briggs No Spark

PJJ

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
magneto.jpg

I recently acquired a 5hp i/c briggs and had it running yesterday to see if it was worth putting time into. I wire brushed the flywheel because there was quite a lot of rust on it. Now it has no spark I've tried another spark plug but that didn't work.

Last edited:
I would clean any debris that has accumulated on the coil legs and the flywheel contact area. I keep a running shop vac business end next to the wire brush as I clean. Re-gap the coil to specs. Replace the shroud and recoil starter. Attach an Oregon brand spark tester, I like the one with the in-line light. Set the choke and pull start, looking for the light to indicate power to the plug.
I’m sure I’ve missed something, but I hope this helps.

PJJ

I would clean any debris that has accumulated on the coil legs and the flywheel contact area. I keep a running shop vac business end next to the wire brush as I clean. Re-gap the coil to specs. Replace the shroud and recoil starter. Attach an Oregon brand spark tester, I like the one with the in-line light. Set the choke and pull start, looking for the light to indicate power to the plug.
I’m sure I’ve missed something, but I hope this helps.
Ok thanks i will try that

This is electronic ignition , so really nothing there but the coil and flywheel . Make sure none of the kill switch wires are grounded out .

Yup
I would gap both legs of the coil 0.010” @ the flywheel magnets. I use two feeler gauges at the same time. It sometimes takes three hands.