5hp Carb options

I was looking into switching the carb on my 5hp flathead, but in order to do that, I have to get a carb thats not connected to the tank. Is there a cheap option that will let me convert this? The engine in question is model 135202. Seems to be a pretty common engine.

Steve73

Looks like it would work? Let us know what your final setup is and how well it works. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

delray

16mm carb could be just little to small for that 5hp big block. I would go with a 22mm carb like this. you can find them on ebay and they use mikuni jets and pilots and easy to tune. also has a choke setup that works pretty slick once your engine is dial in correct. should take only one pull and starts all the time.

I still run a cheap 19mm on my briggs bike I built and it's a real pooch,need to up grade someday...lol also that carb only has a choke lever and no high idle when cold running it. 22mm mikuni/clone carb runs like a car choke with high idle until you want to take it off. I have notes some of the small cheaper carb's don't have this feature.(like my briggs bike)

16mm carb could be just little to small for that 5hp big block. I would go with a 22mm carb like this. you can find them on ebay and they use mikuni jets and pilots and easy to tune. also has a choke setup that works pretty slick once your engine is dial in correct. should take only one pull and starts all the time.

I still run a cheap 19mm on my briggs bike I built and it's a real pooch,need to up grade someday...lol also that carb only has a choke lever and no high idle when cold running it. 22mm mikuni/clone carb runs like a car choke with high idle until you want to take it off. I have notes some of the small cheaper carb's don't have this feature.(like my briggs bike)

Oh damn. I just went off that link posted earlier and I bought the 16mm. I guess I’m gonna try it first before I buy another carb