7 hp Briggs,

I picked up a 7hp Briggs for 20 bucks. Are there any performance upgrades I can do to it? Or did I find another oddball (they seem to find me)

I’m new to mini bikes but I’d like to make a street legal bike with taller wheels. Is that a thing? I want it to be a thing

So I’m thinking of using this engine in a cushman style build. The plans are floating around on the internet from old Popular Mechanics articles. I’ve got plenty of scrap angle iron for the takin at work so I’ll only have to buy a few odds and ends.
I’ll need wheels - what’s a good source?
and brakes, of course. I’ll also need a clutch. I could get a cvt too, not sure what would be best for bopping down the street.
opinions? Should I try this?
If I do I’ll document as much as I can and post it in this forum

Harquebus

...I would avoid buying wheel & tire combos from HF for anything that moves faster than a handcart or dolly.
Seconded. There is nothing minibike or go kart related at Harbor Freight except the engines and miscellaneous hardware (nuts and bolts, etc).

Now that HF competitor (somewhat upscale) known as Northern Tool, has all kinds of tires suitable for go-karts/minibikes, clutches, and a few sprocket/wheel assemblies (not sure if they have hi-speed bearings or not) and they may have sold some Azusa parts if memory serves...

Harquebus

I’ll need wheels - what’s a good source?
and brakes, of course. I’ll also need a clutch. I could get a cvt too, not sure what would be best for bopping down the street. opinions? Should I try this? If I do I’ll document as much as I can and post it in this forum
Theres the usual suspects: BMI / GoPowerSports / Ebay.
Can’t say enough good things about https://www.mfgsupply.com/ where most everything ships for $6.99 flat rate... :cool:

Last edited:
I’ve been looking at the engine and I can’t see a way to mount a cvt. No mounting holes. Forgive me, it’s my first Briggs
While I got you here, how do I make a more practical kill switch than just shorting out the spark plug

On my Briggs, I just ran a wire from the ignition coil to a handlebar-mounted switch. The other side of the switch goes to ground. Pretty simple setup.