70' Benelli Buzzer Fun

Joe H

HI all I have lurked here for a bit and finally decided to post . I have had a Benelli Buzzer sitting for a couple years now and finally rebuilt the motor and did a very light (read not good) clean up job on it. Did some mods to the motor, set new squish clearance and o-ringed the head, cleaned up the porting and enlarged the exhaust and intake ports without changing the port timing to much, bigger carb, different intake. New exhaust, mostly for looks going for a bit of an overboard look (some hate it other like it...HMMM) and it sounds great.
Got the electric working stably, not an easy task!
Added a brake light switch and blinkers and got it registered and plated so I can have a bit of fun romping it thought he neighborhood without getting tickets anymore..LOL.
I didn't realize I didn't have pics with the blinkers on, so theses are before that.

Its been a fun project and is running well and a real blast to ride. May need some tuning advice with the Delorto SHA and ignition timing, still messing with all that.
Put almost 100 miles on it this weekend tooling around at our up north cabin and around town there, great fun!

Were is the best thread to post tuning questions and such??

fullsizeoutput_ac9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_acf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_aca.jpeg

Joe H

Well I wasn’t to sure this qualified as a real mini classic like most post here... I assume from lurking about you all are as nuts as I am doing stuff many think a bit strange... but this forum looks active and helpful with good members.

My biggest question is has anyone got experience with old Benelli stuff it runs good now but WOW not a precision built motor!
I modded it and “blue printed” the porting it was off by a lot with the transfer heights and such.
Timing could not be set to factory specs I had to file the keyway to get it on. But now I think I have to retard it a bit due to a bit more hp and rpm
Anyone have an opinion on the plug??
I’m looking at all the spotting wondering if it’s detno or maybe need a differnt heat range plug?
Any thoughts?

1619D333-F9B4-4333-9810-AC276107E76A.jpeg 1619D333-F9B4-4333-9810-AC276107E76A.jpeg

Joe H

Well I went to a colder plug and took it for a good ride last night. I think the spotting might be deposits from leaded fuel and too hot if a plug. No spots on the colder plug. I’m running some 110 Sunco until I get a better feel for the jetting. I don’t want to burn a hole in the piston.

Here is a video of the first start earlier this spring. I promptly got a ticket driving it around town before I got it plated.... the cop said “you can’t drive that on the road” I told the cop (who knows me) “im getting it plated and I will be driving it around town” he said “ that’s going to be quite a spectacle”
I’m 6’3” and 300lbs ..... LOL
Gave me a ticket for Display of power, 124 bucks! I figure only Superman gets a ticket like that :cool:
Before the engine mods I had to push off with my feet to get it going and going up any steepish incline was a no go now it’s no problem!

That thing is so cooool!Bet you get a lot of folks looking at it when you start driving it just hope they are not the police :)

Joe H

VERY cool Buzzer! Wish mine were half that cool. :cool:
From what I have seen doing some research this one was fairly well preserved. A friend got it about 3 yrs ago, traded it for a birds eye maple log, at that time I got it running but it quickly wouldn’t run the crank seals went.
Then he said I could have it if I did a restoration of his XR 75 Honda and seeing I’m always building some motorcycle or another I figured why not!
Still working on the XR ... better get it done soon!!! seeing I did the Benelli already, but he’s cool with it. The XR is a 90% restoration or better, so it takes a bit more than a down and dirty rebuild like I did with the Benelli.
Here’s a video I did this afternoon with the blinkers and mirrors so it’s all legal for road use. Took a bit to get it all squared away with the DMV but it was worth the hassle. I’ve put over 100 miles on it in the last month.
Also added a super cheap digital tach today it’s not great but it at least I now have an idea what the RPM’s are for jetting. That Dellorto SHA is different than what I’m used to :confused:.

That is just too cool. The electrics can be really funky on those things. Makes me want to tear into one of mine after seeing that.

Joe H

The electric was one of the hardest parts!!
I added a trail tech adjustable ac voltage regulator and a Honda 1/2 wave rectifier and a large capacitor. (Probly should have bought the trail tech adjustable regulator rectifier but this was a cheaper option)
Had to go to all LED lighting there’s was plenty of volts just no watts!
I’m no electrical guy so it was all an educated guess, with some help from other people I know.
I wired in a Honda brake switch to activate the brake light.
In the end it all worked
The stupid little thing goes from 2 or 3 volts to over 25 depending on rpm!!!
Now I have a steady 12.75 volts or whatever I want I can go up to about 14 or 15 from a 6 volt system ! The capacitor is a key component to keep the power from being choppy
Also had to add a LED blinker relay to make the LED blinkers to blink.
So far so good!! Drove it all around again today , way to much fun:scooter:

Electrics are my weakest point. I may need to pick your brain later. Let me know if you need any parts, I have a few of these laying around.

Joe H

Cool thanks!! I may need parts.
Contact me anytime I’m weak on electric also but I got this working and know what parts I used.