70 Cat TS400 and a Rupp Continental project

I’ve pivoted to working on my Rupp Continental and decided that the hs50 I changed the crankshaft to a proper mini bike shaft on will go on it instead of the 400ts.I’ve got it all back together and test fired it. Felt good to hear it run.Needs a little more work but with people like Skipp, Creia, the pinerepair.com guy etc. etc. I’m confident I’ll end up with a good runner.I purchased a new throttle control and that’s my next task. I think I’m going to have to pull the shroud off to do it right (doh) but I’m learning. Lol. I’m also going to attempt to make a decent exhaust out of a kit I bought. Should be fun because I’ve never welded. I will get back to the Cat 400ts FWS but the h40 that’s on it won’t cut it for a bike as original as mine. I have an hs40 snowblower engine that I’m going to make right for it. Paint, stickers … the whole pinerepair.com makeover. It deserves it. Thanks to everyone thats helped and encouraged me.

Attachments

Minor update. I was putting together the clutch/drive chain and after I got it together I noticed that the chain would tighten then loosen as I turned the clutch drum. Maybe the jack shaft was bent … nope. Turns out the jackshaft sprocket was made a little off centered. Chinese junk but wasn’t cheap. No QC anymore. Ordered one from hent.com and I’ll go on to other things while I wait for it. Bummer but onward.

FunWithStuff

Minor update. I was putting together the clutch/drive chain and after I got it together I noticed that the chain would tighten then loosen as I turned the clutch drum. Maybe the jack shaft was bent … nope. Turns out the jackshaft sprocket was made a little off centered. Chinese junk but wasn’t cheap. No QC anymore. Ordered one from hent.com and I’ll go on to other things while I wait for it. Bummer but onward.
I received the new jackshaft sprocket and installed today. Problem solved!! Thank You
Hent.com for supplying high quality parts.
Yeah that's how it is with some parts you have to be careful when getting cheaper made ones. Some China parts work fine like grips, foot pegs, even some carburetors but some parts like jackshaft sprockets it's better to spend the extra money on a quality part.

Yeah that's how it is with some parts you have to be careful when getting cheaper made ones. Some China parts work fine like grips, foot pegs, even some carburetors but some parts like jackshaft sprockets it's better to spend the extra money on a quality part.
The thing is I bought it from what I thought was a reputable seller and it sat in my parts collection for a bit while I collected more for my project. It was near impossible to tell by eye and only after very careful inspection could I tell. I’m trying to find the receipt so I know what vendor it was. Live and learn but at least it’s fixed properly now.

An update on my ‘66 Continental. My first attempt at fabricating a custom clutch guard is shown here but don’t laugh too hard because it’s my first try at welding. I still have to finish up the guard and a couple other things but it’s definitely getting there. Soon I can renew my search for a ‘69 -‘70 hs40 or the parts to convert my ‘78 hs40 to get that original look back on my ‘70 400TS.

IMG_4763.jpeg

Last edited:
There were a few threads on making a clutch cover. David Wulf made on that looked like a real one, I made one not so real but resembled a real one.
Thanks Ole4. I’ve never welded before and the welding required to make a decent looking guard that closely resembles the original one is, I think, beyond my capabilities until I get a lot better. I have better mig wire on order and plenty of metal to work with. I’ll keep at it.

IMG_4827.jpeg
It’s back in one piece and I’m pretty happy with how it came together. It’s not done as I need to finalize the clutch guard and see if I can match the original Rupp paint on the frame. Now it’s on to the Cat 400TS !