72 Arctic Cat Prowler... starting from not much!

I've always wanted a Cat but they're hard to come by out here in Oregon. So when this popped up at a swap meet for $50 I couldn't say no!

20180819_145900.jpg

Obviously a lot to do... I've since accumulated most of the parts needed. Was able to find a Sachs motor that wasn't seized and got that running (still need to tune some things). Probably about 40% done with the entire build so far.

Going to preserve the patina as much as possible to make a little Mad Max Cat.

Ding Ding

it came with a modified honda recoil which works fine. if i ever come across a sachs recoil that doesn't cost an arm and a leg i'd like to put that on there.
The honda recoil might be a good fit with your Mad Max theme. It's probably more durable than the Sachs recoil too.

What else do you need for the bike? Did you get the seat situation figured out?

The honda recoil might be a good fit with your Mad Max theme. It's probably more durable than the Sachs recoil too.

What else do you need for the bike? Did you get the seat situation figured out?
Not at the seat yet... I'm waiting to get the tank ready to mount so I can map out the pan with the tank in place.

Pretty much at this point I need little things. Cables, petcock, grips, hardware, etc. The only "major" part I need is that exhaust shield.

Also debating on the tire situation. The stock tires I have are in ok shape but I'd prefer new ones, however the 3.25-10 size doesn't seem to exist anymore. Was thinking of maybe trying some 3.50-10s because I like the "beefy boots" look on bikes (all my scramblers have oversized tires).

Ding Ding

Not at the seat yet... I'm waiting to get the tank ready to mount so I can map out the pan with the tank in place.

Pretty much at this point I need little things. Cables, petcock, grips, hardware, etc. The only "major" part I need is that exhaust shield.

Also debating on the tire situation. The stock tires I have are in ok shape but I'd prefer new ones, however the 3.25-10 size doesn't seem to exist anymore. Was thinking of maybe trying some 3.50-10s because I like the "beefy boots" look on bikes (all my scramblers have oversized tires).
I have a nice original seat from an Arctic Cat Climber that I may part with if your interested. It has the look to match your bikes patina.

You can buy the correct petcock on ebay, or many others will work too. Same with the grips. You can get nice reproduction brake cables from Blackwidow Motorsports--> http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/arctic_cat_minibike_parts.html

How about brake levers? I have a bunch of those too.

@ruppking

I have a nice original seat from an Arctic Cat Climber that I may part with if your interested. It has the look to match your bikes patina.

You can buy the correct petcock on ebay, or many others will work too. Same with the grips. You can get nice reproduction brake cables from Blackwidow Motorsports--> http://blackwidowmotorsports.net/arctic_cat_minibike_parts.html

How about brake levers? I have a bunch of those too.

@ruppking
I do need brake levers/perches. I have some but they're a bit TOO crusty (flakey chrome isn't a good look).

If you want to send me pics of that seat I'll take a look. Only thing is I'm not super willing to pay much for a seat because my upholsterer friend essentially offered me a seat for free because I'm making her wedding cake.

Ding Ding

I do need brake levers/perches. I have some but they're a bit TOO crusty (flakey chrome isn't a good look).

If you want to send me pics of that seat I'll take a look. Only thing is I'm not super willing to pay much for a seat because my upholsterer friend essentially offered me a seat for free because I'm making her wedding cake.
Pics sent.

Yep, moving right along . Nice wheels, where did find those or who rebuilt them?
I bought some crusty ones off the internet, and fixed them up myself. Cleaned the rims & hubs, got new brake shoes, rebalanced the spokes, popped new bearings in... plus the new rim strips/tubes/tires. Lots of elbow grease!

Nice work. Do you have any before pics of the rims?
Sadly no. Just picture 40 years of caked on dirt and grease
Looks pretty good! I've grown to really appreciate original bikes, or at minimum original parts.

What's with the CB antenna? Lol

That rear sprocket is not correct. Pretty large for that sachs engine.
Yeah the sprocket is probably off a Ramrod. I have a smaller one but I'm experimenting. And I'm the kind of person who needs to experience failure, so advice can fall on deaf ears... ha!

I pulled the antenna off a 70's Chevy van... I wanted a ridiculous flag whip but I didn't like that most aren't retractable.

Trying to balance class with cheese on this.

Ding Ding

Yeah the sprocket is probably off a Ramrod. I have a smaller one but I'm experimenting. And I'm the kind of person who needs to experience failure, so advice can fall on deaf ears... ha!

I pulled the antenna off a 70's Chevy van... I wanted a ridiculous flag whip but I didn't like that most aren't retractable.

Trying to balance class with cheese on this.
Yep it appears to be a Ramrod/Screamer/Climber sprocket. I dont think the little 47cc sachs has enough grunt to take advantage of the larger rear sprocket gearing, but I'd be interested to hear how it does. You'll find out how pretty quick!

That antenna does have that 70's van vibe. I now understand the bike's theme that much more. :)