72 Speedway Green Horn - RESTORED $2400

1972 Speedway Green Horn Sports Cycle / Mini Bike

This is a classic mini bike from the early 70’s that was built in Mansfield, Ohio across town from Rupp Industries. In fact Speedway Products, Inc., was started by 2 ex-Rupp employees.

The Green Horn was only produced in ’72 & this bike is one of the more desirable GH’s due to the gas tank having the oval side indents. The motor is not original, but It is a vintage correct 5hp Tecumseh motor & 14” wheels. It is bigger & faster than a Rupp Roadster!

I originally purchased this bike as part of a package from a collector & then restored it back to its original condition earlier this year. The bike was painted metallic green & clear with body shop quality paint. When I got it a few years ago, the lights & several other parts were missing so I decided, since it was in such great condition, to do a complete restoration.

Here’s a brief list of what I have done to the bike:
• NOS headlight bucket, tail light & brake light switch
• New wiring harness
• NOS brake levers
• New brake & throttles cables
• New throttle & hand grips
• New gas cap & fuel shut off
• New reproduction decals on entire bike & engine
• New chain & T/C belt
• New jackshaft bearings
• NOS dust boots for front shock tubes
• Custom Speedway license plate
• Refreshed motor consisting of rebuilt carb, new points, condenser, spark plug, air filter, head gasket & starter recoil assembly.
The engine was painted with hi-temp enamel paint.
• The kick stand, foot pegs & chain adjusters have been powder coated.
• The fenders & T/C cover are painted metallic silver & clear coated.

Upgrades / Improvements
• Replaced original speedway torque converter drive clutch with NOS Comet TC-88 unit.
• Resolved leaky front fork seal issue by eliminating hydraulic fork oil & replacing fork springs with new custom made springs ( note- the springs cost $50 each!)
• Both upgrades were recommended by an old Speedway dealer from back in the day who said Speedway made great bikes but there were a few weaknesses; fortunately they were easy to fix.
• Replaced both brake actuating arms with Rupp style arms so you can use conventional brake cables. (Try to find an original Speedway rear brake cable with built in light switch…it’s impossible!)
• Relocated horn from the engine to the gas tank. The new location keeps horn clean from dirt flying off the front tire (note- this location was used on ‘73 bikes).

The bike is in excellent overall condition. Since I have been restoring Rupp & Speedway minibikes for over 15 years, I know what’s original & know how these bikes go together. Everything works as it should including the lights & horn – even the brake light works! The original Carlisle tires have plenty of tread left. The front tire has a few very light dry cracks. The chrome is in great condition for being 43 years old. The engine runs strong & doesn’t smoke.

This Green Horn would make a great addition to anyone’s minibike collection as an investment or take it to the Mini Bike Reunion in Windber, PA in next June.

Serial number on the frame: 38093
Engine Model: HS50 67005 Serial: 2157B

I will also include color copies of the following:
* 1972 Minicycle magazine test article
* Speedway parts catalog
*Speedway brochure
* Owners manual

I also have a few Rupp mini bikes, an additional Green Horn & a Red Barons that can be restored to your specs or sold as is. Contact me for details.

Thanks for looking & please call with any questions.
Charlie
(860) 483 1578

This is a classic mini bike from the early 70’s that was built in Mansfield, Ohio across town from Rupp Industries. In fact Speedway Products, Inc., was started by 2 ex-Rupp employees.

The Green Horn was only produced in ’72 & this bike is one of the more desirable GH’s due to the gas tank having the oval side indents. The motor is not original, but It is a vintage correct 5hp Tecumseh motor & 14” wheels. It is bigger & faster than a Rupp Roadster!

I originally purchased this bike as part of a package from a collector & then restored it back to its original condition earlier this year. The bike was painted metallic green & clear with body shop quality paint. When I got it a few years ago, the lights & several other parts were missing so I decided, since it was in such great condition, to do a complete restoration.

• New wiring harness
• NOS brake levers
• New chain & T/C belt
• New jackshaft bearings
• Refreshed motor consisting of rebuilt carb, new points, condenser, spark plug, air filter, head gasket & starter recoil assembly.

Upgrades / Improvements
• Replaced original speedway torque converter drive clutch with NOS Comet TC-88 unit.
• Resolved leaky front fork seal issue by eliminating hydraulic fork oil & replacing fork springs with new custom made springs ( note- the springs cost $50 each!)
• Both upgrades were recommended by an old Speedway dealer from back in the day who said Speedway made great bikes but there were a few weaknesses; fortunately they were easy to fix.
• Replaced both brake actuating arms with Rupp style arms so you can use conventional brake cables. (Try to find an original Speedway rear brake cable with built in light switch…it’s impossible!)
• Relocated horn from the engine to the gas tank. The new location keeps horn clean from dirt flying off the front tire (note- this location was used on ‘73 bikes).

The bike is in excellent overall condition. Since I have been restoring Rupp & Speedway minibikes for over 15 years, I know what’s original & know how these bikes go together. Everything works as it should including the lights & horn – even the brake light works! The original Carlisle tires have plenty of tread left. The front tire has a few very light dry cracks. The chrome is in great condition for being 43 years old. The engine runs strong & doesn’t smoke.

This Green Horn would make a great addition to anyone’s minibike collection as an investment or take it to the Mini Bike Reunion in Windber, PA in next June.

* Speedway parts catalog
*Speedway brochure
* Owners manual

I also have a few Rupp mini bikes, an additional Green Horn & a Red Barons that can be restored to your specs or sold as is. Contact me for details.

Charlie
(860) 483 1578
Is this still available

The thread is 5 years old. Sure the cost doubled by now.
Try sending him a private message.
That bike was sold, but I do have an original 73 Red Baron & another fully restored show quality 72 Green Horn.
What type of bike are you looking for; rider, original or complete restoration?

That bike was sold, but I do have an original 73 Red Baron & another fully restored show quality 72 Green Horn.
What type of bike are you looking for; rider, original or complete restoration?
I just want a nice mini bike. Can u send me picks of baron and greenhorn

• New wiring harness
• NOS brake levers
• New chain & T/C belt
• New jackshaft bearings

Upgrades / Improvements

* Speedway parts catalog
*Speedway brochure
* Owners manual

Charlie
(860) 483 1578
My # 6312191854 cell num can you send picts of bikes you are selling. Can I call u tomorrow.
Thanks Len