8 hp briggs carb

minibikefever

I'm trying to get an older 8 hp briggs with the updraft carb I have a couple of these carbs and on one the needle for the float has what appears to be a rubber tip and I don't see a seat in that carb and the other needle is solid metal and I believe there is a seat in the bottom on that one, with the rubber tipped needle do I not need a seat? any info would be appreciated as I'm no mechanic but I have a few tools and just a little common sense but I'm hoping that will be enough to get the job done with a little advice, thank you

minibikefever

I believe that's correct I set the float bowl with the tipped needle and no rubber seat and the leaking stopped but only after I fixed the emulsion tube therefore at least on the up draft carbs the metal needles need a rubber seat and the tipped one's go into the metal seat. the actual leak was caused by the emulsion tube not being seated all the way and sealing, you actually have to turn the emusion tube in tight enough for the brass to seal against the pot metal, I turned it in and out like a set screw and the last torque I turned it until I heard the metals ping against each other and it was sealed, saw it on a you tube video this afternoon and it worked cool.

Last edited:

old shed finds

I'm trying to get an older 8 hp briggs with the updraft carb I have a couple of these carbs and on one the needle for the float has what appears to be a rubber tip and I don't see a seat in that carb and the other needle is solid metal and I believe there is a seat in the bottom on that one, with the rubber tipped needle do I not need a seat? any info would be appreciated as I'm no mechanic but I have a few tools and just a little common sense but I'm hoping that will be enough to get the job done with a little advice, thank you
My big question is what you putting this big boy on? These put out some scary power and torque. ..... While back we had a big block on a live axle go cart and on any sharp turn it had to power to just flip that go cart on its side...fun and scary......

minibikefever

My big question is what you putting this big boy on? These put out some scary power and torque. ..... While back we had a big block on a live axle go cart and on any sharp turn it had to power to just flip that go cart on its side...fun and scary......
it's on a turf roller that I picked up out of the classified ebay/craigslist section back in oct 11 2019 it's losing the roller that will become an attachment and gets a set of old school mags on the back and some fresh paint, just having fun....