8hp Briggs from Homelite LR4400

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Picked up a Homelite LR4400 generator with a 8hp Briggs on it from CL, has a tapered shaft and no key way cut out. What's the best way for me to use this motor on a mini bike????

MB165

it needs work for minibike..........the crank could be switched out or turned down and a keyway cut into it. Its a medium frame engine, wider than a 6.5 hp, so if you don't use a jackshaft its gonna be hanging off to the right quite a bit. that engine has a crazy bellcrank governor linkage, and a leaned out, non adjustable carb. maybe a little mikuni would fit that intake manifold. try and get it fired up see how it runs before you put any money into it

I haven't found many options and From what I've read that seems to be the best thing is switching out cranks. And it may end up being to big for the bike and maybe not worth the time I'll have to put into it. The carb would come off if I choose to use it, it has definitely seen better days. I'll try to get it fired up soon and post updates about it. Thank you for the reply.

That engine would be fine in a big frame bike. That being said, clean it up and (hopefully) just do the minimum (read: don't spend much $$) to get it running first. If it does run, then open it up and check all of the wear tolerances of the internals. Then, only if it is not all worn out you can look into getting another "minibike friendly" crank, or place a wanted ad to have one of our OldMiniBikes members turn the existing crank and slot a keyway. We have a number of members who are quite talented in this regard.
Michael

That engine would be fine in a big frame bike. That being said, clean it up and (hopefully) just do the minimum (read: don't spend much $$) to get it running first. If it does run, then open it up and check all of the wear tolerances of the internals. Then, only if it is not all worn out you can look into getting another "minibike friendly" crank, or place a wanted ad to have one of our OldMiniBikes members turn the existing crank and slot a keyway. We have a number of members who are quite talented in this regard.
Michael

I will be working on cleaning this dirty ole Briggs up soon and try to get her to fire up, thank you for the good news. I'm glad to here that we have members that know how to machine cranks!!!:thumbsup:

Before you spend too much time on it, check to see if you even have spark. If not, install a new plug (I recommend NGK) and try again. If still no spark you'll need to pull the flywheel and inspect, clean, or replace points. If you DO have spark, drain whatever oil is in the crankcase and add fresh 30wt. Then, with the carb removed, spray a little gas directly into the intake to see if it will "pop" or maybe even run for a second or two. If you use "starting fluid" (Ether) for this only use a VERY small shot and don't do it more than a couple of times, as it will degrade any lubrication in the cylinder bore and could damage the cylinder wall. If the engine fires or runs for a second or 2 you know that you have at least adequate compression to run. Report back with your results.
Michael

Ok guys t an update!!! I took the carb apart, cleaned it best I could. She was NASTY!!! So I have spark, pretty good compression and I did get it to fire with starting fluid. So that got my hopes up to a degree. Hooked up a make-shift gas tank and continued to try to start it. ......Nothing as of now I can only get it to run off starting fluid not gas. :shrug: Not really sure what to do now, it's been a while since I've had a motor fire and run on starting fluid only...... the recoil spring half way works on the motor so the pull string doesn't want to wind back up after a few pulls.

So what's I gotta do next???????