97cc carburetion options

Fisher1983

Morning,
While some may scoff at the thought, Im keeping my 97cc on my Dirt Bug. Its piped and jetted, but I still hate the factory carb. I considered getting an actual G100 Honda branded carb, but wonder if anyone has experimented with other carbs? I remember a YouTube video of a guy with a Tilly on one but he didnt say which model. Im looking for a reliable and tuneable carb. Any suggestions? Custom manifolds will not be an issue for me.

Fisher1983

Im very suprised no one had any input here. No bother....Ive got the stock carb running very well now. Still curious if anyone has had success with Tec carbs, Mikunis or Tillotsons though.

I've had one a short time that supposedly had a " honda carb" on it from a previous owner. Ran very rich and I wound up selling the whole thing since I bought it mostly for its better tires for my sons DB 30's. I can't find any pics of it but will post if I do. If this helps both my sons' kept the stock 97ccs on for years and they always seemed to run rich, after twin carb cleanings I had them run them out of gas( shutting off the valve, not running the tank empty) after each ride. They seemed to start much easier and run better than just shutting them off and then turning the gas off. Those little engines took a real beating for years with regular oil changes, like I said they ran Gassy rich. They seemed to have too much carb stock but your mileage may vary pardon the pun.

Well..I got a 97cc on my db30s that it came with and a spare 79cc from a monster moto mmb80 I'm putting a old Intek 6.5 on.....they did sit these carbs were bunged up when i bought them no rebuild kits..tried cleaning.. some sucess..disposable carbs..bought 2 carbs of eBay $17.99 each.. .these should last well now being cared for...looked on eBay saw gx100 carb like $32 looks to have some adjustment screws..maybe better..see you can buy parts for that carb....got a PMR jackshaft geared low,drilled a hole in stock muffler and wired throttle to governor arm,put return spring.it does still indicate rich checking sparkplug and muffler with stock jet .it's my lawn toy goes around trees and needs only a small area to make a course to blast around....its not fast top speed but it is a ton of fun..i like this 97cc no oil leak issues or anything..hear the 79cc one good also

Last edited:

Fisher1983

Hey thanks for replying, gang! I had a rejet carb from HRMB on my last DB. This carb is new...I drilled out the jet myself and drilled the pilot out too. It was still running a little lean so Im surprised to hear the stories of rich running. Im modifying the engine right now...getting the head milled, just put in a set of fresh gaskets, and redid my custom exhaust. It ran ok with my jackshaft before, we will see how my jetting did after it goes back together. I'm going to evaluate and buy a selection of jets to fine tune it. If I'm still not happy, I was thinking of seeing if a GX100 Rammer (diaphragm) carb would work on it. I believe it has tunable circuits. I would be open to a Tilly or such but unsure what size to use.