A Father and sons 4 wheeled project

chrisr

CarPlayLB

Danny, that is awesome that you and your son built this...I am diggin the creativity!

Although I came across as an A-hole in your 79cc post, I will stand by my statements. Teaching young kids about safety is paramount. Stephen seems to know his stuff, but did not help you with your exhaust. You have a thread looking for more power, but your exhaust looks like the underside of my sink! It is obvious that you have some welding skills, what happened to the handlebars from the bike? They would make a great header for you! You have way too much weight hanging off the two little studs in the head...it needs support, but ditch the pipe...you need more power, right? Exhaust gasses should go out the rear of the vehicle. It looks like lots of fun and we don't want anyone to get sick. Stephen, would you like to tell Danny about the dangers of teflon tape burning and the noxious gasses they give off? Please do!
In the other post you never mentioned this cool buggy, so all us ding dongs on a minibike site assumed that is what we were talking about. You have a lot more weight here and the ability to carry more people. Your 79cc, no matter what you do, will not do what you need it to. You need a bigger motor. 3600RPM is the same no matter what motor you have. Top speed will be the same, you will have the ability to do more work at lower RPM's, which is what you need. If you gear it lower, you will have to scream the guts out of that little motor to maintain the same 20MPH. Even the guys that build screamer motors are often disappointed by the performance because they are looking for the big number at the top of the RPM range which kills your low end. Unless you had a gear box, you cannot have it all! That is why the newer cars have 8 speed transmissions...it allows them to have more low end with the economy at the top. Maybe keep an eye on your local Craigslist and see if you can find a used snowblower with a good engine and a bad auger. Lots of guys here find those cheap and rob the engines from them. For what you will spend trying to get some zip out of your motor, you could have rebuilt a bigger motor!
I am truly trying to help you. I am an A-hole and I am filled with enthusiastic sarcasm! My apologies for offending, but I think I have basis in my statements. Get the teflon off that pipe please!

Danny, that is awesome that you and your son built this...I am diggin the creativity!

Although I came across as an A-hole in your 79cc post, I will stand by my statements. Teaching young kids about safety is paramount. Stephen seems to know his stuff, but did not help you with your exhaust. You have a thread looking for more power, but your exhaust looks like the underside of my sink! It is obvious that you have some welding skills, what happened to the handlebars from the bike? They would make a great header for you! You have way too much weight hanging off the two little studs in the head...it needs support, but ditch the pipe...you need more power, right? Exhaust gasses should go out the rear of the vehicle. It looks like lots of fun and we don't want anyone to get sick. Stephen, would you like to tell Danny about the dangers of teflon tape burning and the noxious gasses they give off? Please do!
In the other post you never mentioned this cool buggy, so all us ding dongs on a minibike site assumed that is what we were talking about. You have a lot more weight here and the ability to carry more people. Your 79cc, no matter what you do, will not do what you need it to. You need a bigger motor. 3600RPM is the same no matter what motor you have. Top speed will be the same, you will have the ability to do more work at lower RPM's, which is what you need. If you gear it lower, you will have to scream the guts out of that little motor to maintain the same 20MPH. Even the guys that build screamer motors are often disappointed by the performance because they are looking for the big number at the top of the RPM range which kills your low end. Unless you had a gear box, you cannot have it all! That is why the newer cars have 8 speed transmissions...it allows them to have more low end with the economy at the top. Maybe keep an eye on your local Craigslist and see if you can find a used snowblower with a good engine and a bad auger. Lots of guys here find those cheap and rob the engines from them. For what you will spend trying to get some zip out of your motor, you could have rebuilt a bigger motor!
I am truly trying to help you. I am an A-hole and I am filled with enthusiastic sarcasm! My apologies for offending, but I think I have basis in my statements. Get the teflon off that pipe please!
CarPlayLB, I talked to him about the exhaust and everything else you mentioned down to how to make it with bicycle handle bars, flat piece of steel, and 7/8 pipe. But I did it all in the email where I got the pictures from when I got them and saw it. Just like I told him not to remove the governor but how to regear it, what carb to use, want sleave to use on the crank to use a torque converter, and in going to have a thinner head gasket made for him to build compression to help the bottom end out. I didn't post any of this I'm his thread because I didn't like the hard time he was given about using the 79cc.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I am actually his son. Lol.
The motor actually has no problem moving around 4 people(Kids). Hits 20mph in about 5 seconds then the stupid governer kicks in. As I said in another thread hesitates a little at take of but still gets to 20mph before the corner with about 700 pounds on it... Don't think I need a bigger one. I would love to use a snowblower engine but I just got that engine, and I wouldn't want to drill new holes in our engine mount, also think it will not fit because of the height... We have an extra brace in the back over th motor for some extra support.
I know that the Teflon can be dangerous, I was only using it to mock it up, or the coupling would just spin around and wouldn't know where to weld them. I'll take it off when I'm ready to weld.
I was alitte offended but I'm over that now. Glad you like! There were a lot of sleepless night building this thing... Started working at 7:30 at night, and got home at 7:30 in the morning.

CarPlayLB

Danny,
Please do not weld galvanized pipe...that is not good for you either! Where's them handlebars?

Also, as you start going faster, the need to stop becomes greater! You have some tall tires there...be careful!

Danny,
Please do not weld galvanized pipe...that is not good for you either! Where's them handlebars?

Also, as you start going faster, the need to stop becomes greater! You have some tall tires there...be careful!
I don't know if I should get a shop to do it for me, at this point we just want the damn thing to be finished.we threw them out, we used black pipe on the 2 stroke.
Did you see the brake we have?