A few questions about an Alsport

I picked this trike up Saturday and have a few questions about it. 1.Did it come with the JLO Rockwell engine and torque converter set-up originally. 2. Why is it equipped with 3 band brakes ,one on each side of the diff and one on the jackshaft opposite the driven pulley . 3.What model Alsport is it.

Attachments

Cool find! I see you are a fellow Marylander. I've been looking for trikes here in Md. but I have had no luck other than one that was way over priced.
As for your trike, I'm fairly new to the trike scene here, but if I'm not mistaking, Alsport did offer a JLO single cyl. power plant in that series along with band brakes. Not sure about the third band brake though. However, Steve Durham is one of the resident Alsport experts and was a dealer for them so I'm sure he'll be able to answer your questions better than I can.

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

Ok 1 yes they did offer the jlo and since it has the same boxed engine mount as my ts290, i would say yes it appears original.
2 the third jackshaft brake is the primary power brake and the axle brakes are for turning.
3 model? Hard to say. It is a TS but i dont know which was offered with the jlo or even the ccw290 that mine has.

It looks original but I wasn't sure the only alsports that I have seen with a 2-stroke are the ones with rear suspension. The third brake is a new one for me . Thanks for the information

wjustice

It looks original but I wasn't sure the only alsports that I have seen with a 2-stroke are the ones with rear suspension. The third brake is a new one for me . Thanks for the information
No problem. They had a few 2 strokes. Jlo, husqvarna, ccw and kohlers thatvi know of. Oh yeah they had mccullochs too.

That's a completely stock looking TS150...should be a Rockwell JLO 230. Does look like the exhaust has been changed, or is dangling in picture.
I have 2 or 3 of these and IMO the 2 strokers are the way to go... period lol
If you need any help with it let me know :thumbsup:

Tri Sport

To say that I was a dealer that is true but with my distributor had to ship long haul all the parts and units I am sure they passed by some of the lower selling units. I only sold one TS unit with a single cylinder JLO engine and that was to Doug Watson and he squeezed every bit of power that that machine had and yet it was ultra dependable. I never saw a unit like the one above and never saw a tail light on any machine but the later SL Models. That machine is a keeper and looks like there should be tons of fun ahead for the owner.
Steve :scooter:

All of your replies to my questions are very much appreciated there is so much combined knowledge on this sight. I never was a big fan of the 2- stroke engine but after reading your comments on the JLO I might just leave it. I checked it for spark and that looked pretty good ,so if I can find a kit for the carb it just might go the compression was fair. As for the taillight I will have to look at that a little closer , I just figured that the previous owner may have added it with the tool box attached to rear of the frame . Again thanks for the help.

wjustice

Check the diff too. It may have the larger holton instead of a peerless. That little thing is a taillight? No other lights, I thought it was a kit with both front and tail.

wjustice

They did make a steel holton. I'm not sure if it was shaped like the alum ones or not. I thought they came out later with the larger RTS. Maybe not though. If you look at my "This doesnt look right" thread, i have a holton apart so you can see what they look like.