A few questions about my Manco Thunderbird... may need parts

Hey there, hoping someone can help me out. I got this thing this week. I have an engine and the bike is mostly complete but there's a few things I need before I can run it.

I need new springs for the kickstand and the scrub brake... I have none. I know I can make something work just wondering if anyone has found anything that works well from hardware store/etc before I start a wild goose chase/experiment.

Also looking for the following items if someone can steer me in the right direction please, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best affordable thumb throttle setup, nothing fancy.
Thoughts on kill switch setup?
Possibly a new gas tank

And is there a "make your own header/exhaust pipe" kit available for a briggs and stratton 6.5hp ohv engine? the generic/basic pipe on it now interfere's w/ the mounting and placement of my engine. I can probably reuse my flange, and just find some elbows and straight pieces. Also any recommendations on a muffler? Something not too quite but not too loud.

Thank you!

Jesse

I picked up some springs for my T-bird from Lowes for the kick stand and scrub brake. As to a header, look here: Kart Pipes - Mini Bikes
It may not be a fit given the size of the rear wheel on the T-Bird. There is a make your own header kit at OldMiniBikes Warehouse. A sausage muffler will have a nice tone cheap.

You're also going to have to rethink the gearing if you're putting an Intek on the bike. The drive sprocket is a monster using a #40 chain and the stock clutch is a 10 tooth. This bike is a wheelie monster with the stock 3.5 hp Tecumseh on it. A 6 or 6.5hp engine will put you on your backside in a nano second. Consider a 54 tooth or 60 tooth rear sprocket to get the gearing down to something safer. Even with the taller gearing, you'll still lift the front wheel but you'll have some throttle control and more top speed. You'll also need a clutch brake to go along with the scrub. Finally, the engine plate is pretty flimsy and you'll want to think about stiffening it.

Here's my T-Bird build. A lot of detail that might help you. I used a Honda GC160. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/projects-and-rides/110973-manco-thunderbird-budget-build.html

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that thread later this evening. I really appreciate your input. I'm sure I'll have more questions.