A Harbor Freight tool.

Oldsalt

The attached pics show a pair of sheet metal dies that fit on the jaws of a bench vice. They have magnets that keep them in place. They are 6" long but I have made 18" or so long bends by moveing the material and progressively working at it. I have a 30" hand brake that is good to 20 ga. mild steel but this little guy bends 16 ga. [with a little struggle]. Much thicker aluminum can be bent but it is necessary to make a series if bends 1/8" or so apart to get a 90 degree bend. Otherwise the aluminum will fracture. I use it all the time to make little brackets and etc. Also attached is a picture of an oil tank that was fabricated from 16ga. steel useing the little dies. Couldn't live without it. Been several years since I bought it at Harbor Freight; as I recall it was about 9 bucks. This pair has been seriously overloaded and abused but is still a good tool.

Last edited:

Hent

Cool tool, it goes to show you that harbor freight is hit or miss. I have one 4 1/2" grinder from them that I just can't break... I'm rough on everything, and for $9 with a grinder from harbor freight, you'd think its more or less a throw away item

I bought a 9 dollar grinder from them once and it blew up in my hand when I plugged it in and turned it on. I'll stick with my 4 1/2" Ryobi grinder. I know not ALL Harbor freight tools are defective. As a matter of fact I have several tools from them, but the grinder blowing up in my hand left a bad taste in my mouth and electrical burns on my hand. If I was sue happy I'd have all kinds of cheap tools for FREE!!!

Hent

Jim, I don't blame you for not trusting their tools. It's really, like, playing with fire sometimes, huh?!?

I think we all agree, just beware when you buy from there....