A hard lesson learned

Spyderdregg

This past weekend my father passed away.I haven't seen or talked to the man in 24 years,we had a major blow out when I was 18 and I left and never looked back.He was a very overbearing man and I was,well,I was 18 and quite the A**hole in my own right.Both of us were also as stubborn as you could get so neither tried to get in touch with the other over the years.
When I left my father behind,I also left that side of my family behind including 2 brothers who were only kids when I left.
Saturday,I got a call from my one brother(who somehow got a hold of my phone number) to tell me the news and ask me to come to the wake on Tues. I told him I'd be there.

Last night I went.I was nervous as hell walking in,not knowing how that part of my family would react to me after all these years,as I got into the building,my step-mom ran up and gave me a huge hug and kept thanking me for coming and how she was so glad to see me.Then my brothers did the same,no longer the little kids I remembered,now they are both grown men with wives and kids of their own.
Not one person there made me feel anything but welcomed,that was like a gut punch punch from hell,I felt so damned stupid for staying away so long,I missed so much.
I don't hold any grudge toward my father,I let that go years ago,but the more years you go down the road,the easier it gets to make excuses not to go back,"oh I'll call him next year"or "there's plenty of time",Well you know what,there's not.
It's too late for me and my father,all I can do now is reconnect with the family I have left,to get to know my bothers and their families,I've got 5 nieces and nephews I've never seen(wow Christmas is going to get expensive :laugh::wink:).
This for me is a very hard lesson,but it's one I will very much learn from.
Today is the funeral,my brothers ask me to be a pall bearer.My father,a Vietnam Vet,is getting buried with full military honors.I said yes,its the least I could do for the old man.

Last edited:
I fully understand what you are going through. A month ago my sister died. She and I had a falling out many years ago that left me wanting to have nothing to do wiht her. She has two sons who are doing very well in life. She donated her body to science and her remains are now ready for burial. She was an Army Vet and her last wish is to be buried at sea. I'm going to honor her last request and bury her in the Pacific Ocean next week,there will be an honor guard present as well.
I too have no idea how the Family will receive me.
I hope it all goes well.
Hang in there,you did right and you can live with yourself now. Everything in life happens for a reason.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Sounds like your father didn't want nothing to do with you either or he would have contacted you. Your brother obviously knew how to get a hold of you, so he might have keep his eye on you but fear of an over bearing dad may of prevented him from talking to you sooner. It's sad that you missed out on your family. Now you can get to know them better and buy a mini bike or two. :scooter:

Spyderdregg

Thanks everyone,I just got home,the funeral was nice,they did the whole 21 gun salute and Taps(that always gets me)and the flag folding.Afterwards we all went to eat and it was great,my brothers and me sat and told jokes and stories and cracked on each other like brothers are supposed to do,it was like we had been together all along.After we ate a few of us went to my youngest brothers house so I and my one aunt who lives in Mass.could meet his kids.Stayed there a couple of hours.I'm so glad I get this opportunity to have brothers again as well as a whole other side of my family who was nothing but great to me.I will not screw this up again.:thumbsup:

CarPlayLB

I am with "sludgeBoy" on this...don't beat yourself up! Your Father made decisions of his own. As a father, he needed to set the example. I come from a similar situation...made me a better man, and a better father...learned what NOT to do!
Enjoy your new found family! ...and sorry for your loss!

I'm going down that same road somewhat.

I haven't seen my dad in probably over ten years not really mad at him just he divorced my mom and went his way and while we did briefly get together years ago it was a bit to much getting through his new wifes security hoops and in the end I just lived my life and didn't bother.

I expect to see him this fall sometime since he lives up north and we bought a cabin/house up north and no doubt my brother will bring him over when he comes up from florida to hunt.

I did tell my brother that dad could live in our house up there and have half the garage but his wife would have to stay home.:laugh:
(he never got his garage built like he wanted up there)

Some guys at work were talking about their moms and how bad they were and how they cant talk to them.....all I could say is "you'll miss them when they're gone" I lost my mom last Nov 11 she was a bit of a pain in her way but I miss her.

Itype2slo

Stubbornness is a gene I,d rather not have,but my whole family has. My dad was hardheaded but I was more. Sorry for your loss.

Time does funny things to a person's soul.

Sounds like you were ready to re-connect. Family and good friends are all that really matter at the end of the day.

What a gripping story- I'm sorry that u had many years without your father's prescience and influence... I'm sure you turned out fine in spite if it all, but it's tough to live with regrets.... I am a 28 year career Marine myself, I'm glad you agreed to be part of his burial detail..... Such an emotional roller coaster all around... My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, on both sides. God rest your father in his loving arms!

Col GB Rhinesmith Jr
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk