A neighbor came into my yard and stole a bicycle, what would you do?

To be completely upfront the little man did give the bike to my Son three years ago, it was well used and a year or so later it vanished from my fenced in front yard with a rolling gate and dogs that patrol the yard. I thought my Son had taken it to a buddy's house and got it stolen just didn't want to admit it but with my dogs patrolling the yard there seemed no other explanation. This vertically challenged little man had invited us to swim a year or so before he gave the bike to my Son and he was so anal retentive about the rules it just was not fun so we never went back. This little man is a drinker, has bourbon breath at 9am and stays lit all day. He evidently was butthurt that even with his continued invitations we preferred to go to the waterpark where the rules are clear and fairly enforced. So he sent a few notes about how we were snubbing him and his wife and that he wanted to "revisit" our friendship that quite frankly was never established. When I declined he got upset but I could give a shit less. So two years passed and the bike never was found, the other day he had a storm shelter put in his garage and had taken a lot of things in the driveway. Well the bike was sitting there plain as day, my daughter confirmed it was the same bike. This means the petty little man came into my yard and since he is familiar with my dogs be cause although I've asked him not to he still gives them treats. So he had to have wheeled it right back to his house from my yard. Do I confront the bastard? Do I whip a man a full head shorter than me for stealing from my yard? Or do I expose him as the thief he is to the entire neighborhood? Honestly I'd rather beat the hell out of him but that comes with potential charges and lord knows I've had enough of those. I cannot let this slide, I will not let it slide. What would you guys and gals do?

Last edited:
To be completely upfront the little man did give the bike to my Son three years ago, it was well used and a year or so later it vanished from my fenced in front yard with a rolling gate and dogs that patrol the yard. I thought my Son had taken it to a buddy's house and got it stolen just didn't want to admit it but with my dogs patrolling the yard there seemed no other explanation. This vertically challenged little man had invited us to swim a year or so before he gave the bike to my Son and he was so anal retentive about the rules it just was not fun so we never went back. This little man is a drinker, has bourbon breath at 9am and stays lit all day. He evidently was butthurt that even with his continued invitations we preferred to go to the waterpark where the rules are clear and fairly enforced. So he sent a few notes about how we were snubbing him and his wife and that he wanted to "revisit" our friendship that quite frankly was never established. When I declined he got upset but I could give a shit less. So two years passed and the bike never was found, the other day he had a storm shelter put in his garage and had taken a lot of things in the driveway. Well the bike was sitting there plain as day, my daughter confirmed it was the same bike. This means the petty little man came into my yard and since he is familiar with my dogs be cause although I've asked him not to he still gives them treats. So he had to have wheeled it right back to his house from my yard. Do I confront the bastard? Do I whip a man a full head shorter than me for stealing from my yard? Or do I expose him as the thief he is to the entire neighborhood? Honestly I'd rather beat the hell out of him but that comes with potential charges and lord knows I've had enough of those. I cannot let this slide, I will not let it slide. What would you guys and gals do?

Interesting set of circumstances you have there Ace.. I know what I would do but what I might do may not necessarily be what I would recommended for another..
Without suggesting how you should deal with this situation I'd consider all of my options first, and the repercussions of each of these options..
Being neutral I can understand both sides without taking any one side.

On his behalf he feels hurt from what appeared to be a friendly act of giving your family a bicycle and inviting you and your family to swim..

On your behalf You must feel violated by the fact that he at some point crept into the privacy of your fenced in backyard and took back what he had previously given you.. And I agree what he did was totally wrong!!
In closing I see a lack of communication by both parties..

Fighting is never a good thing and rarely accomplishes anything and is usually motivated by our pride and a reflex action to our manhood..
I hope you peacefully work this problem out.. Good Luck:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm not going to whip a man who has no chance to defend himself against me, not worth the legal hassle. But I will not let it go, embarrassing him seems like the way to go since I cannot prove he did it nor would the police charge him after so much time passed. The other neighbors need to know how he is. He's the one who waited two years to invite us back then got upset that we were not interested, seemed like he only did it because my other neighbor who was his drinking buddy died and he got lonely. I think he got a head of steam behind a bottle and decided to lash out by taking the bike back. When you give a gift it then belongs to that person, if you go into their yard or house to get it back you are stealing plain and simple. The man made me feel like my yard was not safe, he compromised my peace of mind and for that he will pay. I may serve this dish ice cold, best that way I've found. Everyone will eventually know how he is, they already know he's a drunk and a fool but not that he's a petty little sneak thief.

fistfullabar

Man really feeding the dogs when you told him not to.....not cool at all! That alone would piss me off. Remember thou the best "revenge" is living good. Ya got ya fam, place, bikes and many mini bike buddies...he has a bottle.

WLB

You know the old saying about stirring in shit and the additional smell. In this case some stirring seems to be necessary so be prepared for the additional smell and try to focus it all in his direction. I'd probably let him know in front of another neighbor that you know he entered your yard and took the bike, tell him to keep the bike since it was his to start with, that you will be putting up an 8 foot privacy fence between the two of you along with a security camera, and that you would like him to never step foot in your yard again. I would definitely have a witness to the conversation so it couldn't be turned around on you later. Be calm and cordial, absolutely no threats of any kind. If your camera catches him in your yard again then let it become a police matter. I don't think I would even mention the dog feeding issue. Even a high security fence wouldn't stop him from throwing something over and if the dogs become the center of the controversy he might escalate it into throwing things over that could be harmful. If possible I would train the dogs not to eat from strangers or found food. Not an easy problem. Good luck.

First of all, you're letting this guy live in your head rent free. Evict him.
Stuff like this bothers me because I know how mad you are, and chances are good, if you do anything, it will bite you.

This is a person who wanted your friendship, you declined, he took his toys and went home.

The problem with retaliation is this: It's not worth screwing up your own karma to help what you see as another's along.

The guy sounds like a lonely drunk. Doesn't he have enough of his own problems?

He knows what he's done, and there's no point in pointing out that you know it.

Be the bigger man, walk the higher road, and just let this one go.

As my Father who has cancer, who deals with my Mother whose is worse says, all problems are small problems.

45t

I'd say let him keep the bike and look at it as a teachable moment for your kids. Your kids are smart and can already see that the way the guy acted is wrong. Don't let your kids see you doing the same in retaliation.

You cant change others, you can only change yourself. :thumbsup:

I'd say let it go..there will be no good come of this if you comfront him about the bike..he was surley drunk when he stole it...you do not want to start a feud...I keep my neighbors in the light conversation mode..we had one couple want to be friends..dinners and hanging out...I made excuses rather than just say no thanks until he got the message I was not interested..I find making neighbors close friends too much work..they get butthurt because I'm friendly but very independent not always interested in a invitation...if your friendship falls apart you still have to see them regularly (awkward).....I'm singing..be a good neighbor..stay over there..

Last edited:
I one time forgave a guy of a $200 debt...on the condition he NEVER came back over...best $200 I have ever spent!! So you got off cheep!

The coming into my yard thing is the biggest issue, the bike is trivial. And I will take the high road but everyone will know how this man does things when he stubs his lady parts. I tried to be his friend, told him I didn't care for drinking copious amounts of alcohol or hanging out with drunks basically. Yeah he tried in his own way but when I told him I didn't care for his ways he took offense, the man's wife is even sick of his drinking and has said so. I told her I was not the problem and that it was my now dead next door neighbor who drank himself to death that corrupted her husband and that there was no hard liquor even allowed at my house. I sure want to pop him in the mouth but it's not worth the trouble it would cause me, I have had enough of that for two lifetimes. I only stay in the city so my Daughter can finish school with her friends, in 5yrs I'll be fishing every day and going home to my lake house which will be a permanent thing. Good living is the best revenge.

Let it go, after 2 years you won't be able to prove anything! Trying to embarrass him to others will only make you look petty and could go south pretty fast if the other neighbors like him or the wife at all!
You already found out that ignoring someone bothers them more than a pop in the smacker. Just be bigger than him and go your own way!

I'm really not a revengeful kinda guy, but thinking about this whole thing...
I wouldn't feel bad if you slipped over to his driveway some night, and strapped a big 'ol ziptie around his driveshaft.
Make sure to leave the tail on.

i would agree with the others and just leave it as is. if he hasn't done anything lately just let it be. i have had issues with my 1 neighbor. someone has to take the higher road or you just go back and forth bickering and there is always tension between you.

I'll just leave him to wallow in his own quagmire, he's made no friends in the neighborhood other than my now dead neighbor that he helped drink himself to death by making booze runs for the both of them. Well he did evidently make friends with my dogs as well, otherwise he'd a never gotten the bike out the gate because if I sneak out the back and start doing something they get riled and come barking and threat displaying till I speak up and make it known who I am. I do not like people feeding my dogs or petting them through the fence, it's bad form but then society has dropped many rules and much etiquette over the last quarter century. I was always told not to do so and my Dad explained to me why. My next Dog will be a Blue Heeler, he will be at the foot of my bed while the girls run the yard and warn me when things are not right even earlier. I am convinced this fool waited till I left however. He got a front row seat to me whipping that Native American man I caught in my bus, he should know better. The thread still exists, "Caught a thief in my yard today!" is the thread. I sent that bastard to jail behind a sound ass whoopin' and he's in prison for it and previous charges he was out on bail for when he went in my yard to steal. He was a big old boy but he went down like a clown when I lit into his thieving ass. Yes I'm a violent man, spent a lot of time in state custody as a kid and had to be tough and although MS is ravaging me I can still get the job done if forced and am fit as a fiddle but I need pain pills and my heating pad after intense work or a fight. I am not going to whip the vertically challenged little man, not going to do anything but take a witness with me when I let him know that if he is caught feeding my dogs or if he speaks to my kids I will put the medicine on him and it's not good medicine but the special kind that teaches a hard lesson.:hammer:

As many have stated.....let it lie my friend! I truly understand the anger you must feel but I really can see the only good outcome for this is just knowing you are the bigger man and let him wallow in his own self pity!! In this recourse you may be the only one that knows who won, but in the end that's all that really matters for you and your family and you will be happier you didn't take the lower road and all that that ensues from that path!!