A New Lathe, (last toy for a while!)

last february i decided my south bend SB1001 needed a big brother. the sb1001 was my first lathe, and it is a fine lathe, what i considered short comings was me not knowing what lathe parameters are.

while the south bend is a small lathe, an 8" swing and a 20" bed, it excels at making small parts. it also has sufficient motor overload protection to keep you out of trouble. i am keeping it unless someone offers serious bucks because i have all the pieces like a steady rest, an AXA quick change , a home made following rest, a four jaw, a face place and all sorts of dogs and centers.

its' new brother is a Precision Mathews PM1236T. i had some requirements, at least a 1.5" spindle inner diameter, a 3 phase motor (my surface grinder came with a single phase motor and a three phase motor. the finish with any wheel and feed rate was far superior with three phase) gears for speed changes. japanese or american bearings. a gap bed. cross slide power feed.

it is still at the factory being built up:

DRO Install Pic 1.jpg 1620859420527_1620859382819_DRO Install Pic 2.jpg

DRO Install Pic 3.jpg

it ships sometime this week. will update as things happen!!

:p

Last edited:
Pro Number: 022984615
YOUR SHIPMENT IS AT CARLISLE, PA AND IS LOADING TO WATERTOWN, NY.

Picked Up
Fri 05/14/2021
In Transit
Projected Delivery
Fri 05/21/2021

Origin 022 |

Destination 213 |

Freight Information
Pieces:1
Weight:1,225
Other
Share this shipment

getting closer!!!!

i get a call at 10am telling me the truck is 20 minutes away, i was 40 minutes away in watertown getting another covid test. the driver was a really decent guy, he was a big help.
IMAG0217.jpg
off the truck....
IMAG0218.jpg
the driver heads down the road.
IMAG0219.jpg
i broke the shipment into the two pedestal boxes.
IMAG0220.jpg
and the the mighty kubota barely managed to get the lathe down the half mile dirt road to my house.
IMAG0223.jpg
will post some unpacking pics soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tanshanomi

I have an SB1001, too, and I really, really like it. I do get why you'd want a bigger one. There are a couple of jobs that I couldn't do because of the limited swing.

You have the steady rest; oh man. I kick myself for not pulling the trigger when Grizzly was blowing out the steady rests for it.

I have an SB1001, too, and I really, really like it. I do get why you'd want a bigger one. There are a couple of jobs that I couldn't do because of the limited swing.

You have the steady rest; oh man. I kick myself for not pulling the trigger when Grizzly was blowing out the steady rests for it.
i think i got the last steady rest. i ended up making a following rest blank on a water jet, as soon as i need to cut heavy threads again i'll finish it up. i made a 1/2" x 6" acme threaded shaft for a friends wood planer, that was a job without a following rest.

i really like my sb1001, and have no plans on getting rid of it. did you get a four jaw for it?

got the covel surface grinder out of the shop and the crated lathe into the shop with the help of a neighbors' 1976 40 hp tractor with forks.

the day started out beautiful then turned gray and started sprinking.

so the surface grinder went right back into the shop. i cant get around the lathe to remove crate so the new plan is to move the surface grinder to a friends woodshop for a few days storage while i set up the lathe.

:scooter:

so as it sits the lathe is disconnected from the pallets. i have more surgery tomorrow so everthing restarts this coming saturday.

the lathe and palates are getting pulled out along with the desk and d-bit grinder. the cold sawsaw will move to to the tight. the d-bit grinder goes back in the place. the desk will go in my other shed.

nothing is ever easy!

:scooter: