A one of a kind Rupp Centaur

myjunk

View attachment 52455

View attachment 52456

View attachment 52457
I have been working on this Rupp Centaur over the winter and finally have it all together so that I can show a few good pictures of it. I have done nothing to it to change it from the way it was delivered from the factory. Some of you may recall that I have posted a thread on this Rupp earlier, but since I bought it in pieces I did not have a decent picture of what it looked like. To refresh everyones memory, this trike was modified at the Rupp factory in July of 1975, at that time I assume the roll bar, chrome gas tank, dual exhaust, custom paint, etc. were added. There is a tag on the frame stating that it it was modified at the Rupp factory. I have a copy of the original title which lists it as a Rupp Centaur 2. It was never sent to a Rupp dealer, but instead sold directly to a customer. It is my hope that someone out there may have some information on this unique machine. I would really like to know its history. I want to give a BIG thank you to Bob Grace, as he is the real deal when it comes to helping you with your Centaur. I have really enjoyed the challenge of putting this back to its original state and assume I will hold it for a few years and then sell it to fund another unique project. I would love to hear your comments. Thanks

myjunk : Well Robert Grace is possibly the very best place to go to talk about Rupp Centaurs and even the Alsport RTS Street legal machines as he as had both of them.
Finding providence on your special trike would be nice but you have the trike and that is what counts.
Actuality today I got back my 1974 Rupp single seat issue # 54 Centaur Trike. And all my 100% new VW 1776 CC Skat engine went to the engine builder. So a lot of work ahead for me but I have to make it back to being FREE ON THREE once more.
Steve :scooter:

myjunk

Wayne S. Here are a few more pictures. One is the way I brought it home, as you can see it was in several pieces. Another shows the wiring, and notice I had to enlarge the wiring diagram, 55 year old eyes just are not as sharp as they once were. If you would like to see more just let me know. Thank you PB044812.JPG PB104836.JPG PC195094.JPG

Love the pictures, that is nice to see where it came from and make me feel better about mine.:smile:

I got the 340 engine started, but I think the rings are toast because there is way too much smoke and oil coming out the tailpipe. At least in dealing with motorcycles, it looks like way too much.

Still thinking the wrecked snowmobile is the way to go, probably 500cc or larger to put a little more power to the wheels.

wjustice

I got the 340 engine started, but I think the rings are toast because there is way too much smoke and oil coming out the tailpipe. At least in dealing with motorcycles, it looks like way too much.
Dont forget that is a 2 stroke. If you got it started then the rings are at least in fair condition. Excessive smoke could be too rich or incorrect/bad mix. Is the mix fresh and what mix and oil are you using

All I did was clean the carb and got the oil injector to work so it's fresh gas and oil in the tanks and I let the machine do the work.
Now if I'm wrong somebody correct me. :facepalm:

wjustice

Oh ok, I though they used premix engines. Either way with a 2 stroke if its smoking too much you may be getting too much oil. The rings don't have the crankcase oil to contend with like a 4 stroke. My premix engines with todays smokeless oils don't put out much smoke like they did years ago.