A Powell, the newest addition to my mini bike family.

Ok, so this may be easier for me than trying to contact various people about this bike. Before last Thursday I had no idea that I'd ever have a Powell mini bike nor did I care. Well, as usual, once it was in front of me it grew on me quickly. So this one is a fairly solid roller but with some very odd things going on. The letter code is an "MO" for starters. I've seen where the "M" stands for a 3.5 horse Tecumseh but what does the "O" stand for after that. This bike had the rear tire changed at some point in it's life. The problem with that is that the right side rim is not a brake style. Every bike I've seen since digging through pictures upon pictures used the rear wheel half as a brake drum. So was there another style brake that didn't use the wheel half? I can't imagine somebody doing away with it and having a normal wheel half handy but who knows. The next thing about this one is that it has the factory rear fender mounting brackets. It didn't come with the fenders though. The picture shows the way I got it and my intentions are pretty minimal for the moment. It has a 5 horse snow blower motor on it that I'll fix up and use for now. I plan on making it a rider as simply as possible for the time being and have some fun with it. Long term I'll try to either locate or fabricate the missing pieces to get it back to where it began.

Very interesting Powell you have , the MO is that on the top frame rail and is there numbers with it ? Post I close up pic of the rear rim half , brake side . I can see the brake assembly missing but the rim half should be right , unless they had a front half .

Thanks David. I'll post better pictures as I get it going. I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Unless it had a different brake setup then the rear wheel half isn't correct and somebody changed it. Since it has a newer tire on it I'm guessing it got changed but I wouldn't have a guess as to why. There is a number but since BAB isn't here running the numbers anymore I'm not to concerned about it. I just want to know what the "O" is.

I will have better pictures once it's in the shop and I start working it out. It's just busy right now and I don't have time to work on it just yet.

AJ, here is the only information I can find on the MO version.

Paul, regarding the serial number 6951-MO: In the production book the serial number 6881-MO is listed as “New Model” 8-12-71 and the M's became MO's after that serial number. I am not sure what the change was. More interesting to me is who bought the bike and which 6951-MO it is. There were two – maybe the only duplication out there. But there is still more. The first one was sold to Bob Fraser. Bob was a nephew to Channing Powell on his wife's side. Bob was also the one who took the third camp car shell (see bio) and finished it in the early seventies. We have not been able to locate that camp car after Bob sold it. The second 6951-MO (or maybe the first) was sold to Myrtle Vaughan who was Leroy's wife. Leroy was a long-term employee – and I mean long term . . . since the thirties, and before my dad met my mom. Leroy started “Leroy's Scooter Farm” in Corona and sold a lot of Powell bikes while he was working for Powell Bros. I have no explanation for the duplication.

6doggie3

Ajax flip your front wheel around the steel and aluminum half's should be on the same side?
Then post a better pic of the rear steel rim half ! Maybe spray it with some gray primer to see it better?