A400 Clinton

I found my A400 Clinton and I'm stripping it down for cleaning. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to info on the belt clutch that's on it. I see no set screws and don't want to put a puller on it until I see a diagram of how it's made and attached. DSCN8697.JPG DSCN8705.JPG DSCN8702.JPG

I found my A400 Clinton and I'm stripping it down for cleaning. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to info on the belt clutch that's on it. I see no set screws and don't want to put a puller on it until I see a diagram of how it's made and attached. View attachment 252875 View attachment 252876 View attachment 252877
Good question!
The specs for A400-1138 don't call out anything special, so I would assume that the PTO is straight 5/8 diameter with a full length 3/16 keyway.
That crank would not normally be drilled and threaded like an E65 would, so there must be a set screw hiding somewhere.
The pulley looks like is is also a clutch?
If you screw it up, I have used and new crankshafts for the A400.

Thanks scrambler1. Yes the 5/8'' keyed shaft goes all the way through and it's definitely a clutch. The inner pulley half slides in and out on splines that I can't see and that's a bearing next to it with the balls missing. Appears it may have had a lever to push the pulley together but no spring return. And a loose bronze bushing in the middle for the belt to ride on when not engaged. I'll do some more cleaning and let you know if I need anything. I appreciate the info.

Scrambler1,
I also have a Clinton 2-stroke engine that looks like the Panther A400 engine mentioned, but it is orange and marked: MOD 500-0140-034 SER 30300120 and it does not say Panther on it. It's time to put it on a minibike, but it has a 6-1 gear reduction on it which means that I will need to machine the gear off the end of the crankshaft (I have the carbide tools) and I generally don't make permanent mods to vintage engines. It wouldn't be all that hard to make an adapter so that a 3/4" centripetal clutch could be mounted and I have all the necessary machine tools to do it. Still, it seems like you may have a replacement crankshaft. Maybe I could buy a replacement crankshaft from you?? I live in Ridgecrest, Ca., about 50 miles S.W. of Death Valley. What do you think?
tinkertoykid

Scrambler1,
I also have a Clinton 2-stroke engine that looks like the Panther A400 engine mentioned, but it is orange and marked: MOD 500-0140-034 SER 30300120 and it does not say Panther on it. It's time to put it on a minibike, but it has a 6-1 gear reduction on it which means that I will need to machine the gear off the end of the crankshaft (I have the carbide tools) and I generally don't make permanent mods to vintage engines. It wouldn't be all that hard to make an adapter so that a 3/4" centripetal clutch could be mounted and I have all the necessary machine tools to do it. Still, it seems like you may have a replacement crankshaft. Maybe I could buy a replacement crankshaft from you?? I live in Ridgecrest, Ca., about 50 miles S.W. of Death Valley. What do you think?
tinkertoykid
I think you just hijacked a thread.
Please post a new thread in the wanted section and I’m sure someone will respond for you. No worries here, just need to stick to the rules, and welcome to OldMiniBikes.

Here's the clutch that came off my engine. Looks like it was engaged with a fork or something similar. No variable speeds and may be missing parts. Pulled right off easily with a long key holding it from spinning. Probably used on a mower. DSCN8727.JPG