Adding a disk brake setup on drum wheels?

Do disk brakes only attach to a flange thats welded to the wheel itself?

My rear wheel has drum brakes so there is nothing to bolt a rotor onto. Is changing the wheels the only option?

It's a Coleman ct200u, looks to use the same wheels as the Baja mb200

Too much trouble , not familiar with those bikes but a clutch band brake would be a whole lot easier and give great stopping power , if it has a clutch ?

dont oil your chain though :laugh::thumbsup:
Yes I'v been reading and found that out.
I was debating on changing the wheels that's have flanges and use 2 rear wheels, meaning as a front wheel so I can have front and rear disk. It's a trail bike so the wheels are either 19x7-8 or 20x7-8

Last edited:
With the right adjustment a band brake should stop nearly as well as a disc, I've never had a bike with a good working band brake and thought I needed more stopping power.

Back in 2013 I fabricated a setup for myself and a few fellows asked me about it. So in a old thread that is still up: General > Project Logs > Galathoun's Nitro 44 Project Minibike. And on page 2 you can find a quick explanation I offered with some photos. Feel free to go to my account and look at the few other photos regarding the set up. The links for the Rear Hydraulic Assembly say they have one left, but I don't know. Anyway, my point is that I used some parts that I had laying around doing nothing and (using the now popular terminology) I "re-purposed" them. So I didn't have buy a fancy rotor or mounting hardware for it, and saved $$$ and still have quite a kick ass setup. Give it a look, maybe you get some idea's of your own.

Back in 2013 I fabricated a setup for myself and a few fellows asked me about it. So in a old thread that is still up: General > Project Logs > Galathoun's Nitro 44 Project Minibike. And on page 2 you can find a quick explanation I offered with some photos. Feel free to go to my account and look at the few other photos regarding the set up. The links for the Rear Hydraulic Assembly say they have one left, but I don't know. Anyway, my point is that I used some parts that I had laying around doing nothing and (using the now popular terminology) I "re-purposed" them. So I didn't have buy a fancy rotor or mounting hardware for it, and saved $$$ and still have quite a kick ass setup. Give it a look, maybe you get some idea's of your own.
It's hard to see what you did, I can't tell if you had a drum sprocket?
I have a drum brake now, when you remove it your left with an empty circle. I'm trying to figure a way to bolt a disk rotor or sprocket to the wheel.
I was trying to see if you make that plastic washer to go inside the drum cavity. But I couldn't really tell.

My attachments seem to be invalid....I don't know what I did wrong.. Here is a 2nd try.

standard one-piece #35 chain, 60 tooth Steel Sprocket and 4-1/2" drum combo
60 tooth sprocket drum brake.jpg

point and click to open picture size
1-20-2016 7-08-30 PM.jpg