Adding rear disc brakes instead of drum to a Cat.

I have an old Cat minibike (not sure which model). It has a rear drum brake that doesn't work very good.
I want to add a disc brake to it. I saw a kit on Ebay that uses the rear chain sprocket for the rotor.
It is item number 131305930796.
Has anyone used this kit before? Is it any good?
I can weld the brackets on no problem...

Danford1

that one is a cable operated one. That type of setup came stock on my old atlas Works ok but not great cant lock it up. You can get a atv hydraulic setup and adapt it. They are pretty cheap on ebay as well as some of the pitbike sites.

I only have 5/8" from the sprocket to the tire. Do ATV brakes have a thin rear portion that will fit between the tire and sprocket?
If so, which ATV brakes should I look for?

Danford1

OK, Lets go a different route.
Lets say I want to add a hydraulic disc ATV brake to the rear tire.
How do I mount the rotor?
Here is a pic of what I have. Welding tabs to mount the disc brake unit is no problem. I have a welder and can fabricate. Been fabbing for years.
What do I do about the rotor mount?
Danford1

File_000 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
It is your bike, of course you can do what you want. But it is almost all original - seat, paint, decals, clutch cover, wheels, tires, pretty sure engine minus the shroud.

Have you tried cleaning the brake drum and installing new brake shoes, adjusting the cable?

OK, Lets go a different route.
Lets say I want to add a hydraulic disc ATV brake to the rear tire.
How do I mount the rotor?
Here is a pic of what I have. Welding tabs to mount the disc brake unit is no problem. I have a welder and can fabricate. Been fabbing for years.
What do I do about the rotor mount

Danford1

View attachment 89115
Hi Danford,

Have you seen jdogg's build-off bike of last year? It is a beautiful shifter bike. He mounted a disc on an Astro 6" wheel using a turned aluminum adaptor. It worked out well. I'm in the middle of making drawings for adaptors for my build. I'll have a sprocket on one side of the rear wheel and a brake disc on the other. When I'm done with the drawings I'll be happy to share them with anyone who may be interested. I don't yet have any idea how much it will cost to have these adaptors machined!

Hi Danford,

Have you seen jdogg's build-off bike of last year? It is a beautiful shifter bike. He mounted a disc on an Astro 6" wheel using a turned aluminum adaptor. It worked out well. I'm in the middle of making drawings for adaptors for my build. I'll have a sprocket on one side of the rear wheel and a brake disc on the other. When I'm done with the drawings I'll be happy to share them with anyone who may be interested. I don't yet have any idea how much it will cost to have these adaptors machined!
No I haven't seen the build, I'll look for it.
Yes, I would like info on the adapter. Thank you.

Perhaps a clutch brake is the easiest. It just isn't good when the chain comes off or breaks apart...

Danford1

No I haven't seen the build, I'll look for it.
Yes, I would like info on the adapter. Thank you.

Perhaps a clutch brake is the easiest. It just isn't good when the chain comes off or breaks apart...

Danford1
One of the reasons I went with mounting the disc to the rear wheel is because I was going to mount the disc on a jack shaft, and would have no brakes if the rear chain broke. Also, with no jack shaft I'll have a lot more room for mounting the engine while still having a place for the disc. I'll send you the drawings when I'm done with them. I think I'll need your email address for that. Perhaps send me a private message with the address?

One of the reasons I went with mounting the disc to the rear wheel is because I was going to mount the disc on a jack shaft, and would have no brakes if the rear chain broke. Also, with no jack shaft I'll have a lot more room for mounting the engine while still having a place for the disc. I'll send you the drawings when I'm done with them. I think I'll need your email address for that. Perhaps send me a private message with the address?
Danford, I have finished the drawings. If you would like me to email them to you, just send me a private message with your email address. these adaptors are for Astro 6" wheels. Spacers are to be used between the adaptors and the spokes so that the adaptors are just slightly off-contact with the spokes.