Adjustable pushrods

dvd0020

So, I have all my parts for my clone to include

The s2 adjustable pushrods
.065 milled head and ported (gx 160 head on 200 clone block)
1.3 roller rockers
.290 lift cam from agk
28.5 intake valve 26 exhaust
Flat top piston
Stock length billet rod
26# springs
26mm mikuni carb
Norma cheetah clutch

My main question is how do I know what to adjust my pushrods to?

Also, how well will this set up work? What should I change if anything? approximate hp?

I will be back home in December and just trying to get all my information before I start...

The trick is to get the tip of the rocker to sit in the center of lash cap at at mid lift.

The rocker should rock smoothly from one side to the other from zero to full lift.

The angle the rocker is at from one extreme should be equal and opposit at the other.

dvd0020

So the best way I can think of doing this is to make sure the pushrods is straight at mid lift (piston halfway up) and turn the crank. Note any adjustments that need to be made. Make them. install valve train, and try again. Is there a quick way of doing this?

Also, how do I know the rod is completely straight as it is moving?
Doesn't sound like you don't understand.

Do a web earch and find some pictures.
Does not matter if this is a small block chevy or Honda GX its all the same thing when setting up valve train geometry.

Have you bought any parts yet?

I would hope at this point you would stop and consider a kit of componenets that work with stock length push rods.

Go to smallenginecams.com and buy somethign engineered to work out of the box and avoid all this valve train trouble untill you have time to carefuly research things and

Last edited:
Honestly I have never messed with valve train in any engine before. Most of my questions just come from taking the mini bike engine apart and putting it back together. Before now I haven't really messed with the valve train, other than the heavier springs and lash caps. My head was built by AGK and the bigger valve comes with the work I had them do. I'm still waiting to put it back together, as I don't return from deployment until the end of December. I ordered all my parts based on research, but still don't completely understand how it goes together.

I just want to make sure I get the right length on the push rods to go with my set up and want to know HOW to know if I have the right length. I figured I could google any engine, but wasn't 100% so I was hoping to get the best answer here on OldMiniBikes.

I didn't buy a kit as my valve train has parts from different companies. ie I have my springs, caps and valves from AGK since they did the head work; and I have my roller rockers and push rods from RS. So basically I just didn't want to buy an entire kit when I already have half the parts.

Appreciate the input. I'll make sure to do some google research on car engine valve trains to see what I need to do about the push rods. Thanks again!