Adjusting a Clinton Panther 500 with LMB carb, driving me crazy.

RogerA

Having not worked on two strokes for many years, like the 70's, anyone have any tips? Manual calls for 1 1/4 on main and 1 1/4 on air screw. It starts and runs but that's it. No acceleration and lots of blue smoke Gas mixture is good and fresh. Too rich I'm guessing, so ill start there. Any help appreciated. THANKS!

mustangfrank

Having not worked on two strokes for many years, like the 70's, anyone have any tips? Manual calls for 1 1/4 on main and 1 1/4 on air screw. It starts and runs but that's it. No acceleration and lots of blue smoke Gas mixture is good and fresh. Too rich I'm guessing, so ill start there. Any help appreciated. THANKS!
I have not messed with the older 2 strokes in awhile either but did you go through the ignition system?

RogerA

Figured you had that covered, I was curious on timing or if it ran before. The no acceleration part reminds me of late timing.
The is an NOS Clinton Panther from the mid 60's. Has been in dry storage this whole time. Never had gas in it or a bolt turned on it. I've cut back the main jet to 3/4 turn and it is running much better. I just need to let it run in and adjust it finer I guess? THANKS!

RogerA

The factory settings were a little fat at 1 1/2 turns, but adjusted down to about 3/4 turn, it runs fine. Thanks for asking.

I74

Blue smoke usually has a lot to do with oil sludge built up between the case & crank over the many years,, ''like an old out board''.

Are you running the factory recommended oil gas mix now ?

I would put a quality fresh plug in it ''like an NGK'', & set the main back @ 1 turn, with a ''no alcohol'' / ''at least'' 32 -1 mix,, & run it for a good while.

Don't want to run it to lean & screetch that sucker.

Added,,

One of your above posts says it's ''never had gas in it''.
Does that mean it's never been run before, or never had gas ''left'' in it ??

Looking @ the pics of it,, ''fuel cap, starter handle ect.'',, it sure looks like it's been run before.

I would really like to see a good pic of the top of the piston with the plug out, or the exhaust port.

I

Last edited:

RogerA

Blue smoke usually has a lot to do with oil sludge built up between the case & crank over the many years,, ''like an old out board''.

Are you running the factory recommended oil gas mix now ?

I would put a quality fresh plug in it ''like an NGK'', & set the main back @ 1 turn, with a ''no alcohol'' / ''at least'' 32 -1 mix,, & run it for a good while.

Don't want to run it to lean & screetch that sucker.

Added,,

One of your above posts says it's ''never had gas in it''.
Does that mean it's never been run before, or never had gas ''left'' in it ??

Looking @ the pics of it,, ''fuel cap, starter handle ect.'',, it sure looks like it's been run before.

I would really like to see a good pic of the top of the piston with the plug out, or the exhaust port.

I
Now that I have it running, I think it just needs to run and “break in”. This engine was NOS. Never had gas in it or ran. It was stored in a warehouse with about 20 other new Clinton panther motors, all out of the box. Been sitting on a shelf since the mid 60’s. The out side looked bad from storage, not running. I had mixed the fuel oil heavy, to keep it lubed during its fist running. Hence the blue smoke. I have since cut back the oil to 35 to 1 and it is running good. I got the motor and the Argyle Scooter Cob frame parts and pieces from a guy who bought out the leftovers of the company. Here is a photo of my “kit” to put together. Everything was dirty and the steel parts were a little rusty, but it was never finished and the motor never run. Here is a photo of part of the warehouse and motors and parts. As you can see, it was a mess. 760BCEFF-E3BB-47E6-B215-06628CD314DA.jpeg
This is the kit I received.
7AB56DDA-6A9A-42EF-BF51-2C779B7BEA35.jpeg One of everything in the photo. Thank you for your comments and help. Merry Christmas.

Now that I have it running, I think it just needs to run and “break in”. This engine was NOS. Never had gas in it or ran. It was stored in a warehouse with about 20 other new Clinton panther motors, all out of the box. Been sitting on a shelf since the mid 60’s. The out side looked bad from storage, not running. I had mixed the fuel oil heavy, to keep it lubed during its fist running. Hence the blue smoke. I have since cut back the oil to 35 to 1 and it is running good. I got the motor and the Argyle Scooter Cob frame parts and pieces from a guy who bought out the leftovers of the company. Here is a photo of my “kit” to put together. Everything was dirty and the steel parts were a little rusty, but it was never finished and the motor never run. Here is a photo of part of the warehouse and motors and parts. As you can see, it was a mess. View attachment 285271
This is the kit I received.
View attachment 285272 One of everything in the photo. Thank you for your comments and help. Merry Christmas.
That storage box is the stuff of friggin dreams!